Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Without refinishing, what's best way to recondition antiques…

Without refinishing, what's...

Without refinishing, what's best way to recondition wood antiques that have Ned been waxed or cleaned in decade or more?

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Walnut wardrobe, full length door on left for hanging clothes. Rite side has short door with mirror n 3 halves. Underneath door are 4 drawers for underwear, socks etc I guess. Piece not ornate, but does have some carvings and swirls, rail on top, 3 sided and carved.. 48 in wide, 6 ' ft tall plus evocative rail on top that varies in height upp to about9 in.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

That's 4 shelves behind mirror. Mirror has 4 in ledge/shelf underneath on outside. Sorry, my tablet edits...if evocative. Not my word.

1/22/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

A circa 1880 to 1910 walnut armoire has a current value of

$600 to $800. To recondition, you can use Orange Glo on the outside.

You can find OrangeGlo in a spray bottle at most grocery stores in the cleaning aisle.

It will seem oily at first as it takes a few hours to sink in. Use it to clean the dust and dirt away first (and you'll find it works really well for cleaning),

then give a spray onto a towel to apply for the final rub.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are https://marketplace.apartmenttherapy.com/, www.loveseat.com (in CA),
Vinterior.com (in Europe), Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), http://www.revueconsignment.com/ (in Ohio),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the five stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

Dynamite, fast answer, even without a pic. Couldn't b more grateful. Thank you. Thank you!

You are welcome. To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

You can still add pictures here even after you leave the positive rating.

Rarewares