Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I bought an Enderby painting at a thrift store for $15 after…

I bought an Enderby...

I bought an Enderby painting at a thrift store for $15 after looking the artist up and checking the signature. How much do his paintings go for and would I be able to sell it at an auction

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It's 24" tall and 36" wide. It's a landscape painting with mountains, trees, and a river or stream

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Not that I can think of.

1/22/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Hi~

Thank you for the images and for your patience.

You have a vintage original painting that dates to the 3rd quarter of the 20th century, 1950’s - 1970’s that is signed Enderby that is referred to as a Mt. Shasta scene.

Your vintage framed oil painting could sell for $100 - $300 on today’s market. They do get offered for higher on online auction sites, but the realistic sales prices are lower than asking

price.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

Sincerely,

Nora

I apologize, Nora, but I just realized that I could ask a few follow up questions without being charged extra. I just wanted to clarify your answer. I also thought it was $5 total.... not $38, but I'm not asking for a refund, just clarification. In your opinion, was the painting a recreation made in a factory in China?, and is Samuel G. "Enderby" a well known artist? I googled his name and he seems well known and the signature is a match. Thank you.

Samuel G. Enderby, yes, is a known, listed artist. However a numerous amount of paintings signed only 'Enderby' are attributed to hime by sellers. It is an incorrect attribution.

This could have been produced by an artist in a factory setting in China, Mexico, or America. Sometimes there are stamps on the frame to help indicate country of origin.

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, use this link for assistance:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

~Nora

Ok I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I'll give you another good rating. In the near future I'll be asking "Just Answer" about some pottery that i have that isnt marked, but one looks like a beaker and the other is bigger and just very old looking. When I do, do you know about pottery? Should I ask for you? And also will I have to pay for each item or can I send a pic of both side by side? I'm not looking for freebies. If it's policy to explain each item separately then I understand. I'll have to pay for 2 answers.

You are very welcome.

Yes, I do handle pottery, ceramics and porcelains from the Renaissance through Contemporary.

I will be happy to help with additional new items, however I only handle one item or matched set per question here. You will please need to start a new question thread for each new item. Feel free to request me by name if you would like to work with me personally.

Note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, use this link for assistance:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

~Nora