Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Nora I have a rare art nouveau leather trash umbrella stand…

For Nora: Hi Nora I...
For Nora: Hi Nora I have a rare art nouveau leather trash umbrella stand GEORG HULBE Germany. For its age, the leather braiding up and down the sides is in excellent condition. There are some dings around the top edges and the bottom piece is loose on one side. I have found a little information about Georg Hulbe, but not very many pieces of his that are for sale. I found this sitting in a gravel driveway in Lake County Ca., it's a wonder that it survived at all. Thanks again-Lori
DSCN1107.jpgDSCN1107.jpgDSCN1108.jpgDSCN1108.jpgDSCN1110 - Version 2.jpgDSCN111...jpgDSCN1120.jpgDSCN1120.jpgDSCN1129.jpgDSCN1129.jpgDSCN1130.jpgDSCN1130.jpgDSCN1131.jpgDSCN1131.jpg
1/22/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Thank you for your patience.

Quite the roadside find!

This is an antique, circa 1900 tooled leather 'stick' stand (for walking sticks) by the German bookbinder and leather craftsman, Georg Hulbe (1851 -1917). On today's market, this has a value of $250 - $400.

I presume you found this bio on him, however just in case, here is the link for you:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Hulbe

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora

Thanks so much for the positive rating, Lori! Please feel free to request me again by name anytime.

Sincerely,

Nora

Hi Nora-I am just curious. I know people can put what ever ridiculous price on things that they want to, but even the small pieces like a hand held mirror seem to be selling for $200-$300 dollars. This piece is really quite large, do you think my starting price could be a bit higher than $400? I would rather list it for the correct amount as suggested by an expert, rather than just be another crazy person selling online. Thanks again-Lori

Hi Lori,

The estimate I provided is based on actual recent past auction sales of comparables.

What you are finding are 'asking prices' for the small items. Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

You can, however, ask any price you please on any item you own, the key factor being finding a buyer at your pricepoint.

~Nora

Thanks Nora, I know that better than anybody. Sorry, that was a dumb question. I truly appreciate all your help tonight. Lori

No worries, Lori :)