Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a silver tray bechtler allahabad. It was purchased at…

I have a silver...

I have a silver tray bechtler allahabad

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It was purchased at T he London Silver Vaults in or around the 40's

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

On the bottom is a crest a badger like figure and EPNS numbered/stamped 9415

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Anything?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
JC Bechter and sons silversmiths from switzerland
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Opened in India in 1880's
1/21/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

What is the size of the tray in inches?
Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the tray.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the tray.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Your picture of the top of the tray was forwarded to me by the site just now. Unfortunately, there is no picture of the marks.

Let me see what I can find without seeing the marks. I will return in a short while. (I have been to the London Silver Vaults many times. They know me there because of my old business.)

A Swiss and French trained silversmith, Jouquin Carl Bechtler, established his firm JC Bechtler Son & Co in the 1880s in Colonial India at Allahabad. He later opened shops in other cities in India. At this time, India was part of the British Empire.

Your tray is plated silver as indicated by the mark EPNS - ElectroPlated Nickel Silver.

First let me say that I always dislike telling my clients the value of their plated silver. In the last twenty years, plated silver has dropped significantly in value. Sterling silver, for the most part, has retained its value as people look at it as an investment. The silver in plated silver is too difficult to extract to be of value as an investment. Plus with the increase in two worker households, there is not time to polish.

That said/understood the estimated retail value of your beautiful tray is $800-1100 at a high end shop like those found in the Vaults.

If you are trying t sell this tray retail privately, your asking price should be $650-800.

I truly wish I had better news.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or you may see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

The picture of the Bechtler marks was forwarded to me by the site.

While I do not see the EPNS mark in the picture, I am positive the tray is plated silver.

However, the style and marks date late 20s-30s for Colonial India.

I hope this helps.

Please see my previous complete answer.

Positive, please.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser