Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a German doll I can’t figure out the marks. It’s

I have a German...

I have a German doll I can’t figure out the marks

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It’s marked

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Gebr 70 K

Expert's Assistant: What else should I tell the Antiques Appraiser?

2 1/2 Germany the mold nr is257

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have any pictures you can send?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Hi. It just came through.

.

I got a picture of the marks on her back. Would you mind sending a full body shot of her front? That way I can see what her face and body looks like. Thank you!

.

Also, how tall is she?

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did u get the pic.
She is 22 inches tall has sleepy blue eyes and open mouth
Her body is leather

I didn't get a picture of her body, but your description will work. Thank you!

.

Hi. Thank you for all the pictures and thank you for your patience.

That's the mark of Gebruder Kuhnlenz Dolls. The company was founded by Julius, Bruno and Cuno Kuhnlenz in 1884. The factory was run out of Bavaria, Germany. They not only made bisque heads for their own dolls, but they also provided heads for French companies as well as Jumeau dolls. They were in business until about 1934.

.

The 70 is actually your mold number. The rest of the numbers are part of their own inventory marks. Given the marks, she should date to around the turn of the century (circa 1900).

.

She has a bisque head and arms and a kid leather body. She has blue sleepy eyes along with painted brows and lashes. She has an open mouth and a few teeth showing. Her hair actually looks a bit reddish blonde. At 22", she's a bit of a larger size.

.

She looks to be in excellent condition and was very well taken care. I don't see any damage, wear or crazing. Even her hair looks to be in good shape. Given all that, without any clothing, she'll be worth about $1100 to $1300 with an insurance value of $1600

.

If you have any period style clothing that you could put her in, she's be worth about $1200 to $1400 with an insurance value of $1700.

./

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell her. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much I tried for days to figure this one out.I definitely will call on you again.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help out. Thank you for the kind words and bonus. I really appreciate it.

.

If there's anything else I can do, just let me know

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser