Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have the 24" Nishi Doll with umbrella but the umbrella has…

Hi, I have the...

Hi, I have the 24" Nishi Doll with umbrella but the umbrella has split in a few places, so I'm looking for that size umbrella to replace the broken one.Any ideas?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Well, I bought this for my mother back in 1969 when I was stationed on NAS Guam. Mom passed away this past August and she wanted me to take it back and display in my house.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It comes with the glass case of course. I just picked up the Nishi Doll today and will go get the glass case tomorrow. She is in perfect condition except for the umbrella.

1/21/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

My condolences for your loss, most importantly.

This is a 1960's Japanese Geisha doll in glass case made by the Nishi Doll Company.

The parasols were made of oiled rice paper and that oil has eaten the paper over time.

This doll in case is valued at $40 to $60 today.

To replace the parasol, you can try one of these styles (click the word "these") -the kasa mini parasol measuring 5" which looks to be the size of yours.

You can go to Michael's Arts and Crafts store and ask if they have any mini Japanese paper parasols (bring the old one with you).

You can also search Ebay periodically for "Japanese Geisha doll" to find one to buy for $20 to $30 and steal the parasol from that doll for yours. Right now, there aren't any with paprsols, but a periodic search every few days will reveal new listings. You can try the same search on Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, and letgo.com (local).

I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor to make this beautiful doll complete again.

To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

Rarewares