Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I just bought a bronze dragon changelier with four glass…

I just bought a...

I just bought a bronze dragon changelier with four blown glass shades and I was wondering if it was actually an antique. Supposedly it was purchased from a Georgia estate

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Can I upload a picture? Or who can I go to to get it appraised?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I’m not sure what other information you need?

1/20/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to help with your dragon chandelier.

Can you very kindly attach a photo of it?

Many thanks,

Robert.

To attach photos:

(a) Just click on the "Add Files" tab and it will bring up the photos in your computer for you to select and attach here where you are typing to me.

(b) If you don't have an image in your computer, email yourself one from a smart phone, save it in you computer and proceed with (a).

Here's a link to picture attaching help if you need it.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for the photo, that should be all I need. What a beauty!

Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer for you as soon as I can. No need to wait by the computer, you'll get an email with my response.

Robert.

Hi Eric,

Apologies for the delay in getting a response to you. I've been tracking down some details on your beautiful chandelier. This is an old piece. It's approximate date would be 1890 - 1918 given the Art Nouveau style of both the chandelier itself and the art glass shades, which one must assume are original to the piece.

The significance and value of this light fitting is in the glassware. Those bullet shaped bulbs/shades with the distinctive veining and threading are rare indeed. They are examples of Bohemian art glass made at the time in what is now the Czech Republic at one of a cluster of prominent glass factories near Teplitz. Without a mark (and very little of this art glass was marked) it's difficult to pin point the exact maker, but we can narrow it down to two: either Pallme Koenig or Kralik who made very similar pieces to this.

As for value, those four glass shades are easily more valuable on their own than the chandelier itself.

This example of four similar shades, for instance, sold on line for $1010, which actually was a bargain. Your pieces of glass are worth more in the region of $300 - $500 each at auction (or on line).

Looking at comparables for the whole light fixture, this example of a similar one to yours sold in 2006 for $1000, but that was twelve years ago and prices for this type of glass have been rising steadily.

At the right antique auction house your chandelier would sell in the range of $2000 - $3000. It has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store, say) of $6000. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Thanks Robert, much appreciated! It was originally listed for $9400 at a retail store, but waited a year and ended up buying it for $3000 in Nashville. The store had purchased it from another antique store in Atlanta and the only information is that it had come from a Georgia Estate. So glad you were able to provide information.Thanks!Eric

Well done, you got a deal at $3000! It's an awesome piece. I'm very envious!

Robert S.