Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I was just searching for information about my grandmother's…

Sure :). I was...

Sure :). I was just searching for information about my grandmother's China and found this link. It has Noritake Japan Corinthia U.S. Design pa. applied for on the bottom. Really pretty blues and greens on cream background with gold edging

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I'm not sure if it is worth anything or not

1/20/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

If it's not too much trouble, can you give me a list of exactly what pieces you have in your set? Depending on just what you have, the value can vary quite a bit.

.

Also, does your mark look a bit like this?

https://imgur.com/a/uVGfK

~Diana

That's great. Thank you. Corinthia was popular in the early 20th century. It was actually discontinued around 1930. Your mark, however, dates to 1921 to 1924. Your pieces are from an early run in the pattern.

.

I could ballpark a value based on average sets, but the prices really do vary depending on just what you have.

~Diana

I don't mind waiting until you get them unpacked or if you think you might know roughly what pieces she had, I could work with that.

That's great. Thank you!

.

Like I mentioned Corinthia was produced around the 20s and discontinued right around 1930s. The mark on the bottom of your pieces dates to about 1921 to 1924. It's a variation red and yellow mark. It was one of their earliest marks to include the pattern names. The mark also includes little bellflowers known as kikyo.

.

Corinthia is described as having tan scrolls. blue and green bands and florals. Since it's discontinued, many of the pieces can be harder to find, which makes the value a bit higher and can make them more desirable to collectors.

.

.

I can actually give you prices both individually and as a set so you'll know the value of each piece and as a set. Here is a breakdown value for your pieces:

12 plates - $15 to $20 each

12 salad plates - $10 to $15 each

12 bread and butter plates - $8 to $12 each

12 soup bowls - $15 to $20 each

12 dessert bowls - $5 to $10 each

12 cup and saucer sets - $20 to $25 each

gravy boat with underplate - $40 to $50

covered vegetable dish - $75 to $100

large platter -$60 to $85

sugar bowl $25 to $30

creamer $20 to $25

.

As a whole set, it should have a resale value around $1000 to $1300. It will have an insurance value of $1700.

.

That should do it based on what I saw in your pictures, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.

You're welcome to ask whatever you like or bargain with any sellers, but this is what your set is actually worth. The reason I broke it down is because sometimes you can get a higher value by breaking the set up or by piecing it out. Like you mentioned, it helps to know what each piece is worth.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.

I'll be honest, the downside to selling china right now is that there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but there are definitely collector's out there.
.
I can give you a few ideas for selling if you're interested. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Have a great weekend,

~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer, but have not rated it. I was wondering if you had any more questions?

.

I also wanted to know if you were having trouble rating my answer? Rating me does not cost you anything. It just ensures I get credit for my work.

.

.

.

If you think you have already rated me, please reply and let me know. If you're having trouble rating my answer, please let me know.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Hi again.

I was wondering if you had any more questions. I noticed you viewed my reply, but you haven't responded back or rated my answer. Were you not happy with my answer?

.

Rating me does not cost you anything. It just ensures I get credit for my work.

.

.

.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser