Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Can you tell me anything about china pattern 7396? It has R…

Can you tell me...

Can you tell me anything about china pattern 7396? It has R in a shield with Thomas above the shield and Germany below. There is one dot above the shield and below Thomas. Thank you.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is a complete set for 12 of dinner, dessert, bread and butter plates; soup and sauce bowls; cups and saucers; creamer and sugar with lid; 2 sizes of serving platters; square bowl; gravy boat with attached saucer; and round covered serving bowl. The pattern is of the Dresden flowers type with gold banding around the edge, which is not round but has 8 "scallops". The ground is white. Flowers are multicolored (pink, yellow, blue, purple) around edge with one flower or flower group in the middle.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have had it since 1971.

1/19/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Thomas china service.

Thanks for the excellent description, it should be this pattern, correct? (If not let me know, or attach a photo).

And this should be the inventory? (please edit if necessary) and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.

Many thanks,

Robert.

12 dinner plates

12 dessert plates

12 cups and saucers

12 bread and butter plates

12 soup bowls

12 sauce bowls

Covered sugar & creamer

2 oval platters different sizes

1 square serving bowl

1 gravy boat with attached underplate

1 round covered serving bowl.

The inventory is correct. The pattern is very close, but the edges are not round.
Please do not call.

Thanks for confirming that, glad we've got a match. I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can. No need to wait by the computer, you'll get an email with my response.

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS . There’s no need to respond to any phone requests, it will cost you extra which you don't need to pay. The phone requests appear to come from me, but don't, they are automatically generated by the site. I don't work for JustAnswer, I operate as an independent appraiser ‘on’ but not ‘for’ the site, so have no control over what they put on your screen. R.

Thank you very much. I'll look forward to your email.

You mentioned yours doesn't have a smooth edge, so is probably more like this one with a wavy edge, which is another variation of the same pattern, but these slight variations don't make any difference to value either way.

This china service is a lovely old period piece in a floral rococo style that seems to have remained popular ever since it first appeared on Meissen (Dresden) porcelain in the early 1700s.

It was made by the Porzellanfabrik Thomas & Ens factory in Marktredwitz, Bavaria, although by that time had become a subsidiary Rosenthal, hence the "R" in the mark. Thomas prided themselves in making top quality, affordable porcelain decorated with printed floral patterns, many of which were 'heightened' by hand with extra color in the highlights, as I believe this pattern was.

Pattern 7397 does not appear to have been issued a name by the manufacturer, though collectors refer to it as Thomas' "Dresden Flowers" pattern. According to your excellent description of the backstamp, which should be this one, your set dates to the period 1953 - 1960.

Sadly, there's not much demand these days for formal china like this, nobody seems to entertain with dinner parties any more, and these sets are usually kept just for decoration purposes, so prices are not that great, I'm afraid. Having said that, "7397 Dresden Flowers" was such a prolific and popular pattern in its day, it still seems to have a modest following with collectors wishing to replace pieces or build sets. So here are the value ranges, per line item, that you can expect if you were to sell on the 'secondary market', that is, at a good local antique auction or on line (eBay etc).

12 dinner plates..................................100 - 150 (for all)

12 dessert plates.................................60 - 100

12 cups and saucers.............................55 - 90

12 bread and butter plates.................... 15 - 20

12 soup bowls......................................60 - 100

12 sauce bowls.....................................30 - 50

Covered sugar & creamer.......................25 - 35

2 oval platters different sizes...................35 - 50

1 square serving bowl.............................15 - 20

1 gravy boat with attached underplate.......20 - 30

1 round covered serving bowl...................40 - 60

TOTAL..........................................circa $450 - $700

For insurance/replacement purposes, the total value of the set is $1,400.

Hope this is helpful!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
This is very helpful information for me. Thank you very much.

You're very welcome! Thank YOU!