Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a I do believe is a bronze statue. I purchased it…

I have a I...

I have a I do believe is a bronze statue. I purchased it about 15 + years a go. Glenda B., was the one who helped me on the last venture. Before i move froward, will Glenda be helping me, or will you (Pearl Wilson) be the one to help me.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Will you be the one who I will be working with on this.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! You will be working with your requested professional. Do you wish to request Glenda?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

If Glenda is available, that would be good. If not, Then I will be glad to work with you.

I will contact her for you. She is an excellent appraiser and worth waiting for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

You are so kind to be of help.If it is to late to start, It can continue tomorrow. Just tell me what is good on this. Peter

Peter,

Glenda is on Eastern USA time. She will be on tomorrow AM. I have sent her an email to let her know about your question.

Again, she is worth waiting for. She will appreciate your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Doris, Thank you again for your help. I think I will get some rest myself. Do you work a different shift yourself? I am trying to understand How this works so that I will know how, and when to do this in the future. peter

We pros on the site are not employees of the site Just Answer. We are independent "contractors." Each of us works on our schedule with no set times required. Glenda is usually on most of the day.

I often work some part of the day but am on most evenings.

There is usually one of us on the site from 7AM to 11PM Central Time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Thank you Doris for your time with me, and all your help. I hope you have a great night. I will go to rest for now. Again Thank you Doris.Cool

Peter

You are welcome.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Good Morning Peter,

Nice to see you again.

I am actually located in the Central Time Zone, I am normally working from around 8am until 5 to 6pm each day, including Saturday and Sunday. If you have anything else after this one, just put " For Glenda " at the beginning of the question, this will ensure that I can help you.

Can you send me a picture of what you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

For Glenda B.,

Hello Glenda, First of all, Doris was very kind and helpful. She was wonderful to help me.

My name is***** were a great help on my lamp that I had. I took the lamp to sell at an Antique place to sell and it was stolen by the manger that worked there. With my investigated work, She left a paper trail that shoes she took it. May be sold by now. We will go to the D A's office to handle this. Attorney recommended.

Hi Peter

I remember you, that is horrible that the manager stole your lamp. I hope she is prosecuted to the fullest.

What is the Bronze that you have? Can you send me a picture of this?

Glenda

Hi Peter

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Glenda B., This is Peter. I am not sure How the pictures were sent to you. Could you re educate me as how it was done. It is on the phone. can I get an E- mail to see if that works. Thank you Peter

Hi Peter

You can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Good Morning Peter

I received the images of the Bronze, this is amazing! What size is this and is this marked anywhere to indicate a maker?

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Glenda,

I have looked for months for a name. It maybe somewhere in the patina. I even bought special high power lights and flashlights to look very close, and no luck. It takes 2 people to move it. I have learned how to walk it back and fort to move it myself. It is top heave, so i have to be careful. It shows no lines anywhere where it is a two piece statue. A magnet will not stick any where on it. It is hollow from top to bottom I looked inside also very well for markings. It has patina also on the inside. It also shines on the bottom inside. It looks like copper, brass so far. It looks to shine like Gold. Lol. wouldn't that be nice.

From very top to very bottom: 64"

The bowl, from Gargoyle to gargoyle 24"

Wing to wing across tips 27"

From top of head to under toe 43"

From side body to tip of wing 11"

Back of top head to bottom tail 45"

Glenda, If i can provide anything else,Let me know. If you are able to study close, and you split her in the middle long ways, nothing is the same nothing matches anywhere on her. Some one took a lot of time, heart and love putting her together. When I stare into her eyes it looks as if she stares back. And the longer I stare on the face, you would think she move her features. I know you would think I was crazy, Or you know where I am coming from.

What would you say she is, Greek, Italian, etc., and with human like and more than One animal features. Please give me your best on your expertise.

Thank you Peter

Hi Peter

Yes, that would be great if it were gold but, I can bet that whoever sold it to you knew it was not, or it would never have been sold. I will do some research on this, see if I can find something like it. I have a feeling this is a one of a kind custom made piece of art.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Glenda, I believe you are wright. It may be one of a kind. I have gone on the internet for months and could not find anything on it or look like it. That is why I kept it all those years. I know that with resources you will find something on this. I was also eyeing a piano that he had, It one of those square table like pianos. he wanted 1995.00$$ for it I did not have the funds at the time. when i went a month later someone bought it. It appraised at 25000.00$$ a very happy customer. Mike had no knowledge on the piano or the statue. He would purchase 18 wheeler of goods not knowing what was in it. I know that he did not know a lot about Antiques cause he made that statement when I purchased the statue. He only told me that it came from Italy. that is all he knew. have not been in years, maybe time to go Antique shopping again. Peter

Peter

On the very top of this is there a bowl type piece there? Perhaps to hold a plant, fern etc?

I wanted to share with you what I found, these do come from Europe.

https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/pro-auction/catalogue-id-pr10238/lot-1c902bdb-7b47-409b-8bca-a68201177c87

This one listed here is made in England, there was one more I found that was made in Europe they do not specify where, they seem to come from the early part of the 20thC, they were large Estate pieces. Let me know if yours has the top where it looks like a plant/fern would sit

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Glenda, there is a bowl on top. also the neck of the bowl or stand has a round opening in which it goes all the way down to the lion under he feet.The lion stand head is all open. Peter

In case you did not see this here it is again

I wanted to share with you what I found, these do come from Europe.https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/pro-auction/catalogue-id-pr10238/lot-1c902bdb-7b47-409b-8bca-a68201177c87 This one listed here is made in England, there was one more I found that was made in Europe they do not specify where, they seem to come from the early part of the 20thC, they were large Estate pieces. Let me know if yours has the top where it looks like a plant/fern would sit
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Glenda, Yes, you can put a plant or make a small fountain with a small motorto soot water back inside. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Glenda, I just saw the site you sent me. It has the appearance of the statue that i have. It looks to me that it is unfinished. I also saw that it had a lot of cavity on it. I know that mine is finished with the patina and maybe that is why. The man from New York, told me that they were making copies of this statue and were not of this quality. Can we determine if this is the same company or if it is a better quality. Could more than one company or individual made these statue? Good find!! You are good. when they sold it they did not disclose a price. Why do you think. Peter

Hi Peter

This is not the same one as yours, this is one made in England, and it is Steel, yours in Bronze it came out of Italy.

Yours is from the original design, the English one is a later make. Yours is Bronze with the Patina from time, it most likely came from an Estate in Italy, I cannot say for sure how many Bronze ones were made, I have not located but one other and it sold at an auction in Europe. It is possible it could have come from the same Estate that yours came from. It was common for large Estates to have matching Statues, on either side of Entry ways etc.

.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Antique Bronze Sphinx Jardiniere/Tazza ( who was battled by Oedipus in Greek Mythology ) has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $3***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $1***-**-****.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $4500.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $4500.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is Offerup.com, Varagesale.com, Wanelo.com, www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Glenda, I sent a tip of 30.00$$ to you. Would you let me know that it went through... Thank you again. Peter

Hi Peter ,

It did not go through on my end. I checked my Paid report page and it shows you rated me 5 stars so I was paid for answering the question but no bonus.

Peter

It came through, thank you so very much. I so appreciate it.

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser