Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

1/19/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Thank you!!
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Good Morning

Do you have any information on the painting? Perhaps some history? What size is this?

It does appear to be the work of the Cuzco Artist's it looks to be from the early to mid 1800's, it depicts the Archangel Michael. I am sure you know the Cuzco school is a famous school of paintings that occurred in Peru in the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Origially intended by the Spanish as a means to convert the Incas to Catholicism, the movement spread to Ecuador and Bolivia, and variations appeared all across South America.

I don't have much information. I inherited the painting from my father. Most of the history that I have on it is from your response to Alex on 11/1/2013. The size is 19x27. I thought that it was Archangel Raphael because of the fish in the painting. Thank you so much. I really enjoyed your response to Alex and found to be so incredibly informative. I have it as a favorite bookmark and read it from time to time.
It looks to be oil on burlap. Thank you!

Hello

You are correct it is the the Archangel Raphael, this is some interesting history of the Angel:

http://www.christianiconography.info/raphael.html

.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.

The Oil of The Archangel Raphael, in this good of condition, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $600.00-625.00, if this were sold in a High End Shop in a larger city it would sell for $1050.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $ 1050.00
.

Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is Offerup.com, Varagesale.com, Wanelo.com, www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser