Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Doris - I have a new item in question as to age, origin and…

Hi Doris - I have...
Hi Doris - I have a new item in question as to age, origin and value. A sweet horse marionette. It was purchased about 15 years ago in Germany. Its approximately 11" tall and about 8" long. I believe it's hand painted, the hair feels like real horse hair. I find no markings on it. All the strings are there. What can you tell me about it? Thank you for your help.
IMG_3733.JPGIMG_3733.JPGIMG_3734.JPGIMG_3734.JPGIMG_3736.JPGIMG_3736.JPGIMG_3737.JPGIMG_3737.JPGIMG_3738.JPGIMG_3738.JPGIMG_3739.JPGIMG_3739.JPGIMG_3740.JPGIMG_3740.JPGIMG_3741.JPGIMG_3741.JPGIMG_3742.JPGIMG_3742.JPGIMG_3743.JPGIMG_3743.JPGIMG_3744.JPGIMG_3744.JPGIMG_3746.JPGIMG_3746.JPGIMG_3747.JPGIMG_3747.JPGIMG_3748.JPGIMG_3748.JPG
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! Doris here. Thank you for requesting me by name. I am studying your pictures and should return soon.

Kind regards,

Doris

This is a Burmese/Thailand wood marionette dating mid 20thC.

It has been tradition in that part of the world for centuries to entertain and keep their rich heritage alive through fabulous puppet theater. This is all hand carved and elaborately painted with floral designs on a cream colored background. It has a real horse hair mane and tail with a very folk / cottage feeling to the designs.

The estimated retail value would be $175 in a high end shop.

If you are selling retail privately, you should ask $130-150.

Insurance replacement value is $200.

Again,

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much! Super helpful! I'm sure I will seek your expertise once again soon.

You are most welcome.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Doris - Did you email me today Monday the 22. ? Our last conversation was completed. I responded and rated you, but I received an email today stating that you were checking in about my question. Are we good?
thank you

I did not send you an additional email. That probably came from the site. I appreciate your checking in. Thank you for your business.

My best to you,

Doris

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok. thank you for letting me know.
Jeryll

Jeryll,

We have completed this question. Thank you.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser