Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have eight Limoges china salad or dessert plates I would…

I have eight Limoges china...
I have eight Limoges china salad or dessert plates I would like to get the value of them please. Each plate has a depiction of three peaches and associated stims & leaves.The depictions are each signed "Angeh" in gold ink. Each plate is white but the colored depiction covers most of the front side. They all have gold trimmed scalloped edges .The back of the plates are stamped in green with "L S & S Limoges" inside a circle and the word "France" on the outside of the circle. There is also a green star with "Limoges" above and "France" below. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Also do you know where we can find a buyer?
1/17/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi David,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Limoges plates.

Can you very kindly attach a photo of them and one of the mark.

Many thanks,

Robert.

To attach photos:

(a) Just click on the "Add Files" tab and it will bring up the photos in your computer for you to select and attach here where you are typing to me.

(b) If you don't have an image in your computer, email yourself one from a smart phone, save it in you computer and proceed with (a).

Here's a link to picture attaching help if you need it.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks, ***** ***** of the back of the plate is perfect and just what I needed to see.

All I need now is a picture of the front(s) (the two images you attached are both of the back).

Many thanks,
Robert.

Great, that's all I need to see. Nice plates!

Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, if you tell me your zip, I'll let you know what your nearest best options are for selling.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
24116

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Opps...ZIP is actually 23116

23116 Got it!

Hi David,

Your beautiful Limoges fruit/dessert plates are decorated in a typical Art Nouveau style of of the day, a large colorful spray of ripening apples and leaves painted with a well-practiced combination of realism and impressionistic shorthand, dating to abpout 1900 - 1914 when these fruit plate patterns were the height of fashion.

It has two marks on the back,

1. The LS & Sons Limoges roundel, for Lewis Straus & Sons who were a New York based importer of porcelain from both Austria and Limoges. The Straus mark is an overglaze mark -you can feel it with your finger nail.
  2. The LIMOGES in a six pointed star, is for the Coiffe factory, Limoges, where the plate was manufactured and decorated and you'll notice this mark is applied under the glaze.

The set was decorated 'in-house' by a professional porcelain artist (always deemed the most desirable by collectors) and signed in the decoration in the typical way. However very few of these Limoges artists got any outside recognition at the time, and nothing is known about this particular name, Angel, although it is one of Coiffe's listed signatures.

Sadly, the market for this style of Art Nouveau Limoges is not quite what it used to be and prices for it have remained the same or even tailed off for a decade or so.

This example of a similar Coiffe plate with peach fruit, by the same artist, sold on line for $60 which is about right for a single plate.

If you were to sell your set at a good local auction house or on line (eBay etc) they would fetch in the range of $300 - $500 for the set of 8.

As for where to sell, I usually recommend selling sets like these through a good local antique auction house but there aren't a whole lot of options near you. The best of a limited lot would be;

(1) Brandon Auction,

12835 East 11th
Tulsa, TX 74128

http://brandonauction.com/

or

(2) Livingstons Auctions,

1300 B Cornell
Oklahoma City, OK 73108

http://www.livingstonsauction.com

I'd say you would probably do better on eBay, but there's packing and shipping to take into consideration which is not for the faint-hearted or impatient, but is certainly do-able if a few commonsense rules are adhered to such as using enough protection and padding and, most importantly, double-boxing.

You could also contact your nearest antiques mall and ask them who the local Limoges china specialist/dealer is. They will know and give you contact details. Dealers usually pay the low end of the auction estimates, if they are interested. This is possibly the easiest way to go as it involves no seller's commission or shipping.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Robert,Thanks for the very quick, professional, and detailed assessment. The cost was well worth the extensive analysis/appraisal you provided. Please feel free to use me as a reference if that would help.Thanks again - Dave Reppard

Hi David,

Glad to have helped! And many thanks for the very positive feedback, much appreciated.

Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S.