Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a photo that was taken by, famous painter and it is…

Customer Question
I have a photo...

I have a photo that was taken by ***** *****, famous painter and it is dated back in 1800's or early 1900's. it has my grandfather in it branding cattle and a painting was supposedly done by Russell of this photo. how can I find the value of it and also verify that a painting was done.? thank you

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

My grandfather was raised in the area that Russell lived most of his life and the ranch that it was photographed on was belonging to a Cy McCormick who is also in the photo.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

I am sending an image over with cover it was in and note written on cover.
email is fine . could you confirm that you got the file I added?

Excellent, Please also send an image of the backside, letter and any other annotations with this.

~Nora

Here is scan of front and back of photo. thank you
susan
that was all there was with the picture. in doing research of Mr. Russell, it is all in the realm of where he did his work and photos and also same time period of my grandfathers life. This photo was passed down to my father and then to me with the story attached.

I am well-versed in Charlie Russell works and I have not found a painting match to this photo for you.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Thank you Nora and I will keep searching. hopefully someone will come forward.
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help. Please give me some time while I run a search for this subject matter among the works of Charles Marion Russell.

I am afraid I do not have good news for you on this!

I have gone through the entire existing catalogue raisonne for Charles Marion Russell, as well as 818 auction records. This image is not among his known existing works.

This does not mean that an oil painting, watercolor, or sketch was not made at some point from this photograph. It just means that it did not survive to the modern era to be recorded (most likely), or it's hidden away somewhere still in a private collection and was never recorded (fairly unlikely).

Given how prolific he was with watercolors in particular, and how fragile watercolors are, and how widely he traveled in the less civilized areas of the country, it's certain that many of his works were lost in the first quarter of the 20th century.

I apologize that the information you seek is not available.

Jennifer

Thank you for all your help. We will keep the good faith.

I don't doubt the story, as he's done quite similar compositions. I honestly just think it was likely a watercolor and likely lost to time.

Jennifer