Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Diana F You might have SNOW. 46 degrees here and people are…

Diana F You might have SNOW. 46...
Diana F
You might have SNOW.
46 degrees here and people are in a panic. Maybe 3 inches predicted overnite.I forgot that I had this unusual tiered 3-taper candle holder stored away until I re-established communication with you.
It appears to be on a base of Black Onyx. I sent a bottom picture. It is a stone-like material.The thing that intrigued me is that when I picked it up at the salvage store, it was all bent out of shape.
The metal is very malleable and I was able to mold it back to this shape. The only metal I know that is so malleable is gold?I know that candle holders are a dime a dozen and probably hard to investigate.Take a look at this one and see if you can determine anything.Thanks,
Mike Fisers
IMG_E6925[1].JPGIMG_E69...JPGIMG_E6926[1].JPGIMG_E69...JPGIMG_E6927[1].JPGIMG_E69...JPGIMG_E6928[1].JPGIMG_E69...JPG
1/17/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Mike.

Thank you for the bonus. =) We got just under 2 inches here, but it was enough to shut everything down. Did everyone rush to the store and buy all the milk and bread?

.

Hmm.. Gold and silver are usually your most malleable, but those should be marked. There's aluminum, but I don't recall seeing candle holders like that being made out of aluminum. It looks like a cast metal.

.

Quick question... When you say it was bent out of shape and you had to fix it, what parts did you bend? Did you bend the actual scroll part of the arms or did you bend it more at say the joints, like where the sections meet?

.

~Diana

Diana,
I did no see your question.
The bendable part is the scrollwork holding the external taper holders.
One originally was flush with the center.
I manually molded at made the same bottom loop and balanced the two to level the candle holders.

Hi Mike.

That's okay. I just figured that you were out enjoying your dusting of snow or that maybe you caught that flu bug going around (which I hope you haven't and don't).

.

Wow. You did a great job of fixing that. I couldn't even tell where you had worked the metal.

.

In looking at it closely, I think it's brass. Brass generally isn't super mold-able, but if it has a lower zinc content is definitely more malleable that you might think. Brass is an alloy made up of copper and zinc (mostly) and depending on the ratio, you can have brass that ranges from super hard to somewhat softer. It can generally be even easier to work near where two parts have been joined together.

.

I actually think you have an early 20th century French style 3 light brass candelabra with paw feet and ornate scrolls. There is some interesting detail work along the brass at the bottom too. I think you're right the black is probably stone. Many of these were made with metal and stone, which was usually brass or some kind of gilded spelter and marble or onyx. They generally came as a pair.

.
Here's a somewhat similar one I found:

.

https://imgur.com/a/jdvvq

https://imgur.com/a/h1dzx

.

For just one, i think you'll be looking at about $75 to $100 for it

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great night.
~Diana

Thanks,
The brass is heavily oxidized.
Is it better to give it a Brasso cleaning ?

Anytime.

.

It wouldn't hurt to clean it. Do you have a decent magnet? If so, you might check it just to make sure. If it the magnet sticks, it's not solid brass and would require some different cleaning. I think it's solid brass by the way it looks, but it won't hurt to throw a magnet on it just to be sure.

.

I don't think it has a lacquered finish, which is a plus. If you try to clean brass with a lacquer finish it generally makes a mess. You actually have to essentially boil that off first. Brasso wouldn't be bad. I would try it in small obscure place first. Brasso can leave white residue in your cracks and rivets. That's from the silica in Brasso drying.

.

If you want to try something more natural, you can try sprinkling salt or vinegar on a cut lemon and scrub your piece. Ketchup works well too. As always, try it in small place first.

.

If it's more brass-plated, then soap and water and gentle scrubbing is pretty much all you can do.

~Diana

Thanks for the cleaning tips.
I am trying the ketchup method now and picked up a lemon.
The magnet did NOT bond to the scrolled sections.

That's fantastic news. That's a good indicator it's brass. =)

.

You'll have to let me know it goes. I always try the natural methods and hope I don't have to break down and use the harder stuff.

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser