Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have my parents' mid century modern coffee table from 1952…

I have my parents'...

I have my parents' mid century modern coffee table from 1952 and it is in the exact style of a manufacturer called Barzilay. I don't know what the wood is and I do know that it originally was blonde wood but my parents had it refinished in the 70s and darkened it to brown. It is a geometric trapezoid shape and has the original planter inserts inside the planter boxes. I found a stamp underneath the table that says "Modern by FOX Products, Inc., Chicago IL and a number of 0521. My parents bought this table in Cleveland, OH but I don't know what furniture store they bought it from. I want to sell it since I'll be moving in a few months and want to say it is Barzilay syle Trapezoid coffee table - it originally had a glass top but it hasn't had a glass top for at least 10 years now so there is wear and a little water damage on one area of the top but overall is in very good condition. How can I find out what I should sell it for?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I live in Denver, CO. Do you recommend an appaiser in this area?

1/16/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Thank you for your patience.

For an in-person appraisal you will really want to work with an accredited appraiser who is a member of one of 3 appraiser associations. To find one in your area, you will go to each of the 3 sites and enter your location into their 'find an appraiser' directories. From there, you will contact each qualified appraiser who comes up in your area and they will relay to you their fees for service.

Here are the links for you to each of the groups:

ISA, International Society of Appraisers: https://www.isa-appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

ASA, American Society of Appraisers: http://www.appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

AAA, Appraiser's Association of American: http://www.appraisersassociation.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.ViewPage&PageID=741

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you but I also wanted to ask if you saw a picture of the coffee table would you be able to offer any suggestions online or not?

Sure, you can send an image here.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This call will be how long and it will cost a total of $34 only? What did the free trial offer that I selected?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, use this link for assistance:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Nora
Nora
Nora