Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am trying to ascertain the approximate value of an antique…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to ascertain the approximate value of an antique Elgin National Co., pocket watch, serial number(###) ###-####

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

This is all I know except that the watch has passed through several generations of the family. It appears to have a gold case.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Like what? The watch is hanging in a little bell case. I have not handled it except to find the serial number. The case looks like it should be polishsed, have not done that. I have not tried to wind it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/15/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Let's make sure you got the serial number from the right spot. The serial number is ***** the area where the gears are called the movement. Any numbers on the case itself are not relevant to the watch maker. I do need to know i there is a gold cover over the dial and what the words are inside that part of the case.

If there is no cover over the dial, then let me know what the inner cover reads that covers the back of the watch.

Those writings indicate whether it is gold or not. For example, "Guaranteed 25 years" means the watch is not gold but gold plated and that changes the value significantly.