Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a large water jug that I would like to know more

I have a large...

I have a large water jug that I would like to know more about. It is porcelain and has transferred ladies and gentlemen around the top

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

. I have a large pottery water jug that I would like to have appraised, do I send a photograph

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

The makers mark has wings like an angel with the letters DHTO (I think)England. It is pale yellow from the bottom to half way up then white with beautiful black pictures of medieval servants with various items of food and drink that are obviously being served. around the inner rim is a pattern of oak leaves and acorns which is repeated 3/4 way down.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/15/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hello, I will be happy to help you with your question. Please add images at your convenience.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Thank you for your patience.

The winged wand in the maker mark is called a 'caduceus'. The word above England is BISTO, which is for the Staffordshire potteries of Bishop & Stonier who were based in Hanley in Stoke-on-Trent. They were active from 1891 - 1939.

The transferprinted decoration with a procession group is the pattern 'Falstaff' and dates to the 1920s.

High value is $185AUD - $350AUD on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

Sincerely,

Nora