Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have two pieces of what I believe to be American brilliant…

I have two pieces of...
I have two pieces of what I believe to be American brilliant period cut glass that I would like to identify. I thought they were the same pattern, but now I have my doubts on closer inspection. Additionally, I think that the carafe may be Pressed Glass not cut. I will enclose photographs of both. I have a carafe and a pitcher. I would appreciate knowing their maker, their age, and their possible value if any. I am attaching photos. Thank you.
15159763285852031270918.jpg1515976...jpg1515976353687-304680377.jpg1515976...jpg15159764358661990883381.jpg1515976...jpg1515976457985-1355842893.jpg1515976...jpg
1/15/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi again.

Can you tell me size these two pieces are?

Thanks,

Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Without the stopper. the carafe is approx. 9 & 3/4 ", and the pitcher is about 9 & 1/4 ". Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

That's okay. Most tend to fall around a specific size. Sometimes I like to ask just in case you might have an odd size.

.

The pitcher does look to be an American Brilliant Period piece. It's a pitcher. Generally these were called champagne pitches. Water pitchers tend to be your more "fat", rounded ones. I've seen that pattern also used on pitchers with sterling silver collars. It's a prism pattern, but from your pictures, that looks like a beaded prism pattern rather than a notched prism. It should date to about 1900. I know that J. Hoare produced quite a few pieces using various prism cuts, though there pieces were usually a little more elaborate near the top with patterns around the trim too. Charles Dorflinger & Sons did too. If I had to choose, I'd be more apt to say yours might be a Dorflinger piece.

.

A beautiful piece like that will be worth about $225 to $275.

.

Your carafe looks more like molded glass. It's a globular shaped carafe featuring a paneled diamond pattern and diamond point around the neck. It's a pretty piece of Early American Pressed Glass from about 1900 to 1910. Like with most, the maker is a bit more up in the air on this one.

.

It should be worth about $50 to $60.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser