Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

1/15/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi again.

Do you have a better photo of the pattern? It looks like it might be some sort of etched berries, but I can't quite tell.

Thanks,
Diana

It's not berries, but a flower with leaf branches coming out from the base of the stem on each side (the branch on the right of the main flower stem has a flower on it, too. This motif is repeated twice around the bowl of the goblet. The design immediately under the base of the stems is a stylized ribbon with a knot under each of the two groups of stems. The ribbon design undulates with a series of forward slashes under each upswing of the ribbon. Even I don't know what word my notebook interpreted as "drum"! I think I was trying to say "stems". I will keep trying to get a better photo & send it if/when I get a clearer one. For some reason, this pattern is nearly impossible for me to capture.

I definitely understand that struggle. Glass is probably one of the hardest things to photograph. You almost have to light it from above with a flashlight or from a strange angle to get all the different parts of the pattern to pop. Thanks for the extra description. I'll look again know that I know that and see what I can find. Thank you!

~Diana

Thank you so much for the bonuses on the two previous questions. I really appreciate it.

.

Good news. I think I found your pattern. The stem design was very familiar and wound up being the clue I needed to track down the maker. The rest was just sorting through all their patterns. =)

.

They were made by a company called Rock Sharpe. You might find them listed under Libbey/Rock Sharpe. The Cataract-Sharpe company used to buy blanks from Libbey and decorated/cut the crystal at their own factory. They didn't make glass, but they made patterns. Since they marketed the stemware (glasses), it was a long time before the glass was actually identified as Libbey. Sharpe was very popular and for nearly a decade was featured in ads all over housekeeping and women's magazines. They produced some excellent patterns and cuts. Eventually Libbey actually bought Sharpe during the late 1940s.

.

Depending on what books you look in, you can find some patterns under the Sharpe name, some under Libbey, and some have managed to properly ID them as "both". It doesn't help that almost all of Rock Sharpe's pattern records were lost. Most of what we know as been pulled from old retailer catalogs. It's not perfect, but could be worse. =)

.

I found what I think is yours under Rock Sharpe's pattern listings. Like most glassware, they had an inventory of stems, bowl shapes, and even patterns that had their own numbers and codes. It made it easy for them to create tons of variations and new patterns without wasting too many resources. You could essentially mix and match.

.

That strange ribbed stem on yours looks like their #1005 stem. There are a few patterns that have names that used that stem, like Del Mar or Romance. I believe your pattern is this one:

.

https://imgur.com/a/U1EPS

https://imgur.com/a/a6lBL

.

Unfortunately it doesn't have an official but is called #1005-2. Basically that means it's pattern using the #1005 stem. The second number (2) is just to give it a designation that makes different than the #1005-3 or #1005-8 and so on.

.

The liquor cocktail and champagne glass look very similar and you can really only tell them apart by size. I'll give you both along with the measurements just in case. If your glass is about 5 1/4", that's the liquor cocktail and they're worth about $8 to $12 each. If it's about 6", it's the tall champagne or sherbet glass. Those are worth about $10 to $15 each..

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great night.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thank you again. I really do appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do please let me know

Best Wishes,

Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser