Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

1/15/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi again.

What an interesting pattern. Can you see or feel any seems along the sides of the glass or stem?

~Diana

There are no seams; however the inside is rather like a very narrow paneled glass and you can feel all of these smooth ridges. Then, of course, the etching of flowers, vines, etc. is on the outside.

Hi.

That actually looks like an oyster or fruit cocktail glass. That narrow panel look and feel is called an optic. Basically it means the glass was made to give the effect of sections, panels, etc. and creates a bit of an optical illusion. It was a popular effect in among many during the early to mid 20th century. The effect could range from panels to blocks to even sort of swirls in the glass.

.
On top of being an optic, your glassware also feature a bit of all-over bramble looking etched pattern. That actually looks like it's a needle etch pattern. With needle etching, your glass was covered with a wax like substance. A skilled worker would use a machine to carve the pattern in the glass. Though it used machines and thus went a bit faster, it was still a very complicated process because it had be slowly rotated as the machine worked.

.

Once it was cleaned up, it would be taking to a dipping room where it was immersed in an acid bath. Acid would eat into the areas where the needle had cut the wax off, creating your pattern. Then it was cleaned, polished and ready to go.

.
The fact that your glass looks needle etched puts the date around the 1920s.

.

As for who made it, I don't know. Needle etching was done by so many companies and records on their patterns are spotty at best. I know that as far as technique goes, it comes closest to the work of Morgantown, Fostoria, Cambridge and Tiffan. It doesn't really look like the work of Morgantown. The glass shape isn't really something Cambridge would usually use. If I had to narrow it down, I'd say it's probably one of Fostoria's patterns..

.

If they all look as good as the one in the picture, they'll be worth about $25 to $30 each.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser