Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Blue M.J. Hummel 87 for father tmk 3 1960 mint bright colors…

Customer Question
Blue M.J. Hummel 87...

Blue M.J. Hummel 87 for father tmk 3 1960 mint bright colors no fading,cracks,chips,,crazing alue

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

No original box or C O A

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

M.J. Hummel on back of base name indented in back of base west

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/14/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 7 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

HI My hame is Diana and I'll be glad to help.

.

I know you mentioned that it's Blue MJ Hummell. Can you tell me what mean by blue? Is the stein a blue color?

Thanks,
Diana

Hi.

If what you mean that the stein was in blue or that mark is in blue, those are pretty common. The only major difference in colors on this particular figure was the radishes. In some of the editions the colors could range from greenish to nearly orange.

.
For Father was first released in the late 1930s. It was originally called Father's Joy. It was designed by Arthur Moeller in 1938.

.

In excellent condition, with the TM3 mark, it's worth about $150 to $200. It would have an insurance value of $250.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana