Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

How can I connect with an antique appraiser in my area. I…

How can I connect...

How can I connect with an antique appraiser in my area

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have a sideboard that my parents purchased while we lived in Germany and I found a photo of it on the Harp Gallery too

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I have both a photo of mine and the one from the Gallery

Hello?
1/14/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

I live in the Southeast USA.

i can assess your sideboard for you but to give you the most accurate answer, I need photos.

Please send photos of the sideboard.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the sideboard.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

The photo with the sideboard holding the pewter plates came from an online antique gallery, you can see the copywriter in the lower left. My parents retrieved this piece from the dump during a time when people were throwing out their antiques during the early 60’s.
124038EA-4801-4372-AA90...jpeg124038...jpeg4F39A6CB-6326-428D-9605...jpeg4F39A6...jpeg2BF1DED2-FD88-48D7-A69A...jpeg2BF1DE...jpeg262D3BAB-DE9C-4975-9F0B...jpeg262D3B...jpeg
From the dump in Germany.

https://www.harpgallery.com/showroom/cid/9/

This is the link to the Harp Gallery dining room furniture.

I do not see the one like yours here.

Do i have the right site?

If not, please send a link to the correct site.

How much is the one in the gallery ?

I will tell you if that value is accurate.

Kind regards,

Doris

They “have no information” on it

I still do not see it on the site. What category is it in?

It’s no longer on the sight, that was 3 years ago

Understood. I really appreciate your patience.

This cabinet dates ca 1900, rural/rustic Germany. It is not part of the English Arts and Crafts or Eastlake movements.

The estimated retail value is $2200-2800.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

What can you tell me about these?
F1E8C87B-52A1-41BB-8004...jpegF1E8C8...jpeg2AF6DC75-E1FD-47A9-8C75...jpeg2AF6DC...jpegF9D03AA4-AA72-4D7A-95EC...jpegF9D03A...jpeg6CCE2C94-D0FE-4D4A-9D35...jpeg6CCE2C...jpegCE0EFFEF-A24A-449F-B44C...jpegCE0EFF...jpeg

I am very sorry but it is against Just Answer site policy to stack questions.

You will need to go back to the login and enter another piece as a separate new question.

I would be delighted to help you there.

Just type "For Doris Only" as the first three words of your new question. Most of the pros on the site will respect that request.

Again, I would be glad to help but enter the piece in new question.

Positive please on this one here. Use the 5 stars.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
I asked a separate question, sent a photo and was billed, I haven’t heard anything yet. Is everything okay?

I have seen your other question and responded to it. I need to know which three antiques in the pictures you sent do you want assessed.

Please do not respond in this thread. Go to that thread to respond.

Kind regards,

Doris