Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Tiffany & Co sapphire and diamond ring that has…

Customer Question
I have a Tiffany...

I have a Tiffany & Co sapphire and diamond ring that has been dated from the 1890’s. It is a 12 carat star sapphire surrounded by full cut diamonds and set in platinum. The provenance is from the Andrews Family of Standard Oil. Very similar in appearance to the Lady Diana engagement ring - though larger in size.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

No. I have the carat weight of the diamonds somewhere - but would take me a while to find it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/9/2018
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 6 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Have you contacted Tiffany & Co headquarters in New York City in regards ***** ***** ring?

~Nora

I have - but they need to actually have the ring in their possession in New York to do an appraisal and history. I live in Palm Beach

Does this have a GIA report, a Gemologist report on the stones?

~Nora

And have you tried contacting Christie's and Sotheby's with this information on the ring?

~Nora

I have not as of yet.
There seems to be a VERY wide array of opinions as to value.

I highly recommend it as a next step, and if either has interest, they may also have access to the research files at Tiffany's.

You would send each auction house images and a scan of the GIA docs as well the provenance that you mentioned.

Here is the link for you to Christie's:

http://www.christies.com/selling-services/auction-services/auction-estimates/overview/?PID=mslp_related_features2

Sotheby's:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auction-estimates.html

When it comes down to it, the most definitive answer you would get on the value would be through Tiffany's where it was made. They do have extensive files kept on all custom-orders; which yours is one.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora