Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We just inherited a large bronze chair with a woman carved…

Customer Question
We just inherited a...

We just inherited a large bronze chair with a woman carved into it. It appears to be that of Rupert Carabin. How can we tell if it is a replica?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is approx. 6 ft high with the naked back side of a woman on the back of the chair

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Cats as the arms

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/8/2018
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Thank you for the image.

Is there a signature and/or foundry mark on this?

~Nora

I cannot seem to locate one

Thank you for checking

Do artists ALWAYS sign their designs even on bronze?

I am not able to authenticate this for you.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

This is a metal replica of a wooden chair by Carabin, which is held in the Musee d'Orsay.

The question here is whether this is an authorized coy by Carabin, or whether it's a recreation/reproduction by another source. I'm going into the resource materials now to try to determine that, and I"ll be back to you shortly.

Jennifer

Carabin did not make this in bronze, only the original wood. Additionally, all of his bronze works are signed, or stamped with his cipher, and additionally have a foundry mark. His sculptural works were typically quite small--all of his larger works, such as chairs, were done in wood.

So this is a reproduction by a third party, created after the chair in the Musee d'Orsay, likely in the mid 20th century.

after Carabin

Chair with Bound Nude

Cast bronze

mid 20th century

Appraised fair market value: $6,000.00 - $8,000.00

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see that this question remains "open." How can I help you further? I strive to always provide five-star service.

I am happy to continue to work with you until you are completely satisfied.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

All good and thank you

You're welcome! I'd appreciate your rating when possible.