Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Looking for value of pocket watch I inherited. I can send a…

Customer Question
Looking for value of...

Looking for value of pocket watch I inherited.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I can send a picture of it

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

My grandfather was a jeweler and has a large collection of gold pocket watches. The one in question E Howard & Company BOSTON. Very heavy, don't know how to open it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/7/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you think you can open up the watch to see the serial number that's on the gears?

.

Here's a site with some tips on how to open your watch in case you need it:

http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/OPENCASE.html

~Diana

Tried to open gently and the crystal cover came off. HAS HINGES @ six o'clock and two very tiny holes at 5 o'clock doest hat help you?

Hi. Unfortunately not.

.

I really need the serial number or a picture of the gears of the watch. Those 2 things are the best way to search records on a watch. It's how you determine the model and date. A person can change the face and the case, but they can't change the guts.

.

Do you have a jeweler you trust? Many jewelers will be glad to help open up an old watch and they rarely charge any money to do it.

~Diana

OKay thanks

You're welcome. If you can find that number or get it open and take a photograph of the gears, I'll be glad to help in any way I can. There's no time limit, so you can take your time and come back when you're ready.

~Diana