Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I’m in Saudi Arabia talking to a trader. He has a helmet he…

Customer Question
I’m in Saudi Arabia...

I’m in Saudi Arabia talking to a trader. He has a helmet he says in Mongolian from the 1700s. He is asking $1300 USD. I have a picture.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I will try again. I’m in Saudi Arabia talking to a trader. He has a helmet he says is Mongolian from the 1700s. He is asking about 4500 sar ($1300). I have a picture

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/5/2018
Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 7 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

If you could upload a few images of the helmet, including details of it's construction (and dimensions, if you are able), I would be happy to evaluate it for you.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Your images have just arrived on my end, I'll research and review and be back shortly with your answer.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

I cannot find an exact match for this form so I am going to opt out of this question and let the other experts on the platform access it. Your images and text will be available to them.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

This is a Persian kolāhxud-e divsar (demon-headed helmet). The metal showing is copper. It's likely plated over steel.

This may be 18th century, but more likely is 19th. I do not think it's 17th, nor is it Mongolian, and it's missing the chain mail that should hang from it.

In it's condition, which is very worn and minus the chain leather, the value at retail should be perhaps $1,000.00 - $1,200.00.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer