Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Dr. Aug. Nagel Stuttgart Nagel Doppel anastigmat…

Customer Question
I have a Dr...

I have a Dr. Aug. Nagel Stuttgart Nagel Doppel anastigmat antique camera I'm trying to find out when it was made etc. Can I send a screenshot on here to show the exact model

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have an antique camera dr. Aug. Nagel struttgard camera I'm trying to find out more information on like when it was made possibly how much it's worth is there anyway I can send you a picture of it or a screenshot

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is a Nagel and not a Kodak It also says Nagel Coppell and aNastagmat

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 7 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help with as much info as I can.

.Photos would be great.

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

If you'd like to know the value, can you give me a list of exactly what pieces you have in your set? I can give you both resale value and an insurance value. Those are both handy when you're talking about handy china down.

.

Thanks,
Diana

Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi. Thank you.

.

The picture is a little rough, but let me take a look at it and see what I can put together for you

~Diana

Hi. Thank you for your patience. I appreciate it.

.

Is that they only screen shot you have of it?

~Diana

Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

This is a Nagel Doppel anastigmat camera made in Stuttgart, Germany between the years of 1928-1932

and has a value of $130 to $150 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

Concerning the Nagel antique camera

I did get the photos and answered above. I will add my answer again here.

and has a value of $130 to $150 retail.

to get five-star feedback for answers.

Hi. I apologize for just being able to get back with you. I had been locked out of the question, but as able to get back in this evening. Thank you for the extra picture. That's much clearer.

.

That looks to be a Nagel Recomar No. 33 folding camera. The 33 was a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 folding camera. Nagel produced the 33 from 1928 until 1932 when they were taken over by Kodak. Kodak actually made the model up until 1940.

.
The original versions came with a Nagel branded f4.5 lens with a Compur shutter. Later lenses were made by Ellmar. Nagel didn't actually make any lenses. It's believed the lenses on the original models were made by private lens companies and were just branded as Nagels.

.

Given that your camera has a Nagel branded lens and not an Ellmar, your camera likely dates from about 1928 to 1930.

.

The condition looks to be excellent. It was well taken care of. In that condition, it's worth about $100 to $125 at auction and $150 to $175 in a private sale. It would have an insurance value of $225.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey, but they do get the "higher" paying customers. There's a fairly new site called Charish that is starting to get some great attention too. Etsy would be great for something like this and they have some of the lowest rates.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great night.
~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer, but have not rated it. I was wondering if you had any more questions?

.

I also wanted to know if you were having trouble rating my answer? Rating me does not cost you anything. It just ensures I get credit for my work.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

.

If you think you have already rated me, please reply and let me know. If you're having trouble rating my answer, please let me know.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana