Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a complete set service for 12 of Theodore Haviland…

Customer Question
I have a complete set...
I have a complete set service for 12 of Theodore Haviland Limoge China, Schlieger Rose gold. Including the hot chocolate pot & cups, the platters, covered dishes etc. I would like to know the value. I inherited it, it also has D.L. Holmes, New Orleans printed on each piece. Thank you. *****: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: There are over 100 pieces.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/4/2018
Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 6 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings Priscilla,

I would be happy to assist you with this evaluation, this is a beautiful pattern and your set is enormous! Shall I assume most every pieces is free of chips, cracks and repairs? Please give me just a moment to research and I'll return with your answer.

I look forward to assisting you,

Erin-Marie

Priscilla,

Within your set, the serving pieces are the less frequently seen, i.e. the chocolate pot (coffee and tea if you have them), covered serving pieces and and of the more unusual items (like oyster plates) will represent a large portion of the value. At auctions which utilize competitive, online bidding you will find that similar large (and larger) services are selling between $750USD (like this one with 186 pieces) and this one which sold for $850 (like this set with 231 pieces) and in one case, as much as $1600USD.

Your service is likely in the $600USD - $650USD range at auction. Once in a gallery, the retail price is usually 2 to 3 times the auction average although this varies widely depending on market trends and regional variations.

D.H. Holmes was a large department store in New Orleans, Louisiana. The building was on Canal Street was a landmark. The department store would have ordered the set directly from Haviland, likely directly for the owner.

Do let me know if you have any additional questions, I love to assist. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please keep in mind, Ionly receive compensation for my answer once you have rated me positively,thus, your 5-star rating is most appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Erin-Marie