Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have two porcelain boy dolls that were my grandfathers.

Customer Question
I have two porcelain...

I have two porcelain boy dolls that were my grandfathers. They are from the very early 1900's , from Paris, all original, glass eyes , hand painted with mohair wigs, wondering their value

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

They seem to be in great condition for their age , one is a soldier and the other a school boy, the neck mark says (something I can't make out) of Paris 6/0

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Their clothes are wool , faces and chests and hands porcelain

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/3/2018
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 6 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Thank you for the image and for your patience.

Your SFBJ Paris 6/0 French Bleuette boy doll could sell for $600 - $800 on today's auction market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

How about the other doll I think it's better quality
IMG_1632.JPGIMG_1632.JPGIMG_1633.JPGIMG_1633.JPGIMG_1634.JPGIMG_1634.JPGIMG_1635.JPGIMG_1635.JPGIMG_1636.JPGIMG_1636.JPGIMG_1637.JPGIMG_1637.JPGIMG_1635.JPGIMG_1635.JPG

Please allow me some time to look over these images for you. ~Nora

Thank you let me know if you need more

Are they both marked SFBJ Paris?

~Nora

I can't find a mark on the other one where should I look

The images may have come in out of order.

The marks are usually on the back of the neck/head. If not readily seen, it may be under the wig.

It seems the images may have come in out of order.

Is it the doll in blue that is marked SFBJ Paris or the one in the red and green outfit?

~Nora

Blue doll is SFBJ

Okay, thank you for clarifying. The photos came in out of order.

The doll in blue that is marked SFBJ Paris is of lesser quality than the one in the red and green.

The $600 - $800 valuation is for the doll in red and green.

The doll in blue would sell for $150 - $300.

~Nora

the marked doll is less valuable ?

Yes, that is correct. The doll in the blue outfit would sell for less than the doll in the red and green outfit.

~Nora

Can you give me more information about the red doll?

It is a bisque head doll with glass sleeper eyes and hand painted face that dates to just about 1910. It is likely a German made doll; checking the back of the head/under wig may show a maker mark or initials. High sale value on the boy doll in the red and green outfit is $600 - $800 on today's auction market.

~Nora

Would you recommend having them appraised in person?

I do not recommend needing to have them inspected in person as average price is $150/hour for in-person inspection by an appraiser.

You can, however, contact Theriault's which is an auction house that specializes in antique dolls.

Here is the link to their site for you:

https://www.theriaults.com/

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora