Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an old Wedgwood vase, age a pro 190 per a previous…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old Wedgwood vase, age a pro 190 per a previous appraiser. Can u give me an appraisal?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It's old and beautiful, the previous owner who would be about 100 yrs old left it to me, her father, who was an antique dealer, owned it since she was a child, and told us it was very valuable

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I have pics

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/3/2018
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help with your Wedgwood vase.

Could you very kindly attach the photos you mentioned.

Also, how tall is it?

Many thanks,
Robert.

To attach photos:

(a) Just click on the "Add Files" tab and it will bring up the photos in your computer for you to select and attach here where you are typing to me.

(b) If you don't have an image in your computer, email yourself one from a smart phone, save it in you computer and proceed with (a).

Here's a link to picture attaching help if you need it.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Give me ur email to forward pics

By all means send me photos by email, it just takes a little longer that way.

The only address that gets to me is:***@******.***
Make sure you add "For Robert S." in the "Antiques" category otherwise they won't know who to send it on to. We appraisers are independent agents working 'on' but not 'for' the site so all correspondence goes through a third party to protect everyone's privacy.
Many thanks and I look forward to seeing it.
Robert.

Ur email, u need to see the pics, had to email myself from cellphone camera

Sorry, I don't understand your last message, can you phrase it another way?

Many thanks,
Robert.

Did u need any other info?, just want an appraisal. I know it's valuable per the antique dealers Dtr who left it to me

Just the height of the vase.

And the photos.

I'll let you know as soon as they have been forwarded to me.

Many thanks,
Robert.

I didn't measure it, put a wine bottle next to it for scale. If u need the exact specs, I'll have to wait until tomorrow , it's put away. Will u get them soon or not?

That's okay, the wine bottle for scale is all I need.

It will be tomorrow before I get the photos sent on to me.

I'll have a full appraisal and a value as soon as I can after that.

Tnx, just text or email me, I c text faster too. Couldn't really send the pics another way. When it said to attach, it went to my camera, but for taking new pics. Ur platform could be improved. Tnx again
Marc

You're welcome. Talk to you tomorrow. Robert.

Hi Marc,

Still no sign of the photos yet, did you forward them to

*****@******.*** ?

Don't forget to mark them for my attention, Robert S. in Antiques, so they know who to send it on to.

Many thanks,
Robert

to ur attn in subject line
Just sent more from my phone. Maybe u can email ur folks so they look for them

Hi Marc,

Many thanks for the photo. This one came through just fine. Any chance of attaching the others, including one of the mark on the bottom?

You may find it easier to upload them to a free public picture hosting site and give me the link to them. The one I prefer is www.imgur.com

Just two clicks and a copy and paste and you are done

Go to http://www.imgur.com/
(no need to 'sign in' or 'sign up' it makes it too complicated)
Click on "New Post"
Click on "Browse"
Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.
Hit "open".
Click on "Copy"
and paste it here where you are typing to me.

Many thanks,
Robert.

I sent a dozen pics

I understand. None has been forwarded to me yet. The only one I have is this one which I presume you attached.

Thanks! I just received this one.

I sent several more pics, may be u have me the wrong email

I'm sorry you're having problems sending the photos.

Just to confirm, the correct email address is:

***@******.***

Keep on trying, we're nearly there! All I really need is just one of the bottom showing the backstamp.

I sent several already, sending again

Great, I'll let you know when I see them this end, thanks!

I'm still waiting for my appraisal. Photos were supposed to have been forwarded to u

Hi Marc,

I'm sorry to say your photos have not yet been forwarded to me from JustAnswer and they should have been here days ago.

Can you email them to them one more time and make sure you get an acknowledgment of their receipt.

Alternatively you can get the photos to me immediately if you upload them to:

http://www.imgur.com

and give me the link to them.

That will make it public. Ur office assured me all files were sent to u over the weekend. One more chance or refund the 40$. You sent all these responses to me phone, why don't u send it to my email so I can sen pics from my computer.***@******.***

Thanks, ***** ***** excellent photos came through to me perfectly, that's all I need to see and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.

As I may have mentioned I don't work for JustAnswer, I'm an independent agent, so I'm not party to any correspondence you and they may be having, so my apologies for appearing to be out of the loop. I also don't have any control over whether you receive my postings by phone or by computer, however, if you you are using a computer you can reach all our correspondence by logging into the JustAnswer.com site.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Wedgwood vase.

This is a very decorative vase and in an unusual style for Wedgwood. The main theme of a bird among flowers -in this case, chrysanthemums and sedges at the back- is taken almost directly from Japanese art which was all the rage when this piece was made. According to the style and the mark on the bottom, it dates to the 1870s.

Following the then recent opening up of Japan to the West by Commodore Perry and his 'black ships' in the late 1850s, all things Japanese became hugely desirable and almost all of European art pottery (as well as the other decorative arts) was heavily influenced by what the Japanese were making, creating a distinctive European/Japanese style that the French called Japonisme. This Wedgwood vase shows almost every characteristic of Japonisme in the ceramic arts, from the shape of the piece with its spherical body and narrow, slightly flared neck, the Japanese brocade design of the tiny plum blossoms on the green ground, but most especially, the way the outline of the bird-and-flowers scenic painting is picked out in raised paste gold enamel. This is a famous specialty of the Japanese that they call moriage. It's done by squeezing the enamel paste out through a small tube similar to icing a cake with a piping bag, an extremely tricky technique that requires great skill to do. It's fascinating that the decorators at Wedgwood in Staffordshire, England, figured out how to do this, as did many of the other English makers at the time, especially Worcester.

Interestingly, for Wedgwood, this flirtation with Japonisme was shortlived and your vase is therefore quite a rarity. Sadly, however, rarity in the decorative arts does not always translate to value and prices for this era and style of Wedgwood are surprisingly modest at present.

I always maintain that value is like a "three legged stool", where the legs are 'rarity', 'artistic/useful merit' and 'notoriety'. If one is missing the stool will not stand. In this case the missing leg would be notoriety. This vase is an example of such a little known fraction of the vast oeuvre of Wedgwood, that the number of collectors who would know about it and understand its rarity would be very small indeed. Having said that, the Wedgwood name is ***** ***** this is an old and highly decorative piece, so it certainly has a satisfactory value from that point of view. So, if you were to see your vase for sale in an antique store, say, it would have a full retail value of $1,250. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a top antique auction house such as Skinners, Bonhams, Heritage, Doyles, Susannin's, etc (here's a good list, so you can see the best nearest you).

I do hope this helps,

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

PS Looking at comparables, this similar sized Wedgwood vase, of identical age, and in the japonisme style sold at auction for $450 which is about representative. R.

Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I see that you have requested a new expert.

This is a circa 1860 to 1880 Wedgwood of England chinoiserie bird decorated porcelain vase

with a current value of $400 to $500 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me to get five-star feedback for answers.

I sent u a message that u didn't reply to. Your answer is significantly different than my previous answer. How do I know who is correct? I think i should try 1 more person for an answer
Rarewares
Rarewares