Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have some antique Japanese Porcelain cups/saucers that I…

Customer Question
I have some antique...

I have some antique Japanese Porcelain cups/saucers that I have been struggling to get appraised.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

They were given to me by my grandmother who is 92, who said her parents bought them overseas before she was born

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Probably just the pics, they all have a hand painted signature on the bottom of each

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/2/2018
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Can you send pictures of these to include the marks?

Here are pics of all the pieces, I didn't realize exactly what this service was until I was already partway in. I am interested in finding the value of the entire set I have, and specifically the value of a single teacup. I was hoping to learn more about the set, what the writing on the bottom means, and as much as I can. Thank you
IMG_3336.jpgIMG_3336.jpgIMG_3337.jpgIMG_3337.jpgIMG_3338.jpgIMG_3338.jpgIMG_3339.jpgIMG_3339.jpgIMG_3340.jpgIMG_3340.jpgIMG_3341.jpgIMG_3341.jpgIMG_3758.JPGIMG_3758.JPGIMG_3761.JPGIMG_3761.JPG

I have not been able to find a match for this, so I will opt out. Perhaps one of the other experts will know this

Glenda

Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 6 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

This is the mark of Fukagawa Koransha (means fragrant orchid)of Arita, Japan. They were in business from

1856 and still produce items today. This vertical mark in blue under the glaze was used

from 1890 to 1950. This pattern does not have a name but includes irises and gold details and has a shape that reflects 1930's designs.

The pot has a value of $100 and each cup and saucer set a value of $35 per set. Dessert plates are valued at $20 each.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answers.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the five stars to accept my answer.