Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I'm stripping a bureau that's been in my family for

Customer Question
Hello I'm stripping a...

Hello I'm stripping a bureau that's been in my family for generations. But--I don't know the type of wood or period it was built in. I've found a number scratched into the finish under a draw. Could this number help me identify anything about the piece?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I hit send before I meant to! The number in the finish is###-##-####or 6417. Thanks! Susan Neill

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/2/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 8 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

The number won't show up in the photo. It is###-##-####or 6417. Can you explain what this number might indicate--something to do with the person that built the bureau maybe or when/where it was built? Thanks.
I'm not going to pay $34 Thanks anyway

I still need to see a picture of the piece in order to determine style and age.

The numbers are usually inner factory codes that do not reveal any information.

I do not particiapte in the phone service, I can work from your photo.