Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a revolutionary era land deed, dated1786, pursuant to…

Customer Question
I have a revolutionary...

I have a revolutionary era land deed, dated1786, pursuant to a sheriff's "sale by public outcry" on foreclosure of a mortgage indenture dated 29 November 1774 securing a loan of 100 pounds, said sale ordered by David Rittenhouse, last surviving trustee of the General Loan Office of the Province of Pennsylvania.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Deed was hidden in the wall of an early farmhouse on the property involved, recently found by an electrician and since preserved by myself, owner of the property involved (200 acres less 6 acres for roads and excepting 50 acres).

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Antiques
1/2/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 month ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.
If you don’t have photos, please let me know and I will answer without them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't have a photo. Don't know how to take and send one.

I do not do the phone service. Please give me a bit to do some research.

Let me know the condition of the paper, folds, discoloration tears, etc and the size of the deed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's 31" by 31" aprox. Can't see the edges under the material used inside the framing.
As an attorney I've seen many old deeds; this is impressive. I spent about a thousand dollars to have this and two related but smaller and less interesting ones framed and preserved. Due to framing and backing the red seal on the back is not visible. It must have been folded a long time and the framed document shows twelve areas of fold. No rips or tears, however. It held up amazingly well hidden in the framing of the 1700s farmhouse; I don't know when it was put there.
It has another seal on the front, a paper one, not large. There is only one imperfection, a pea sized hole in the body of the wording. David Rittenhouse was a historic figure in Philadelphia. The deed date was prior to ***** *****'s becoming president, and of course the referenced mortgage indenture was prior to the declaration. This was part of a 300 acre tract I had for development, as were the other two deeds. This one has great language (Sheriff exposed it to public venue or outcry) and refers to the debtor being deceased. It sold for 540 pounds, or about six times the outstanding debt. I'm sure the widow saw none of that amount. I can bring it to a location in the middle Atlantic (D.C. to N.Y.) Thank you. ***** *****mel
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur