Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a Mink Audubon lithograph Plate xxxiii 1844 JT Bowen.

Customer Question
The sight lines are 20...
I have a Mink Audubon lithograph Plate xxxiii 1844 JT Bowen. The sight lines are 20 5/8 by 26 1/2. It looks like it was bought from the Goodspeed Bookshop in the 1940's on the back of the frame. I thought the bookstore was a big seller of Audubons and were one of the first to recognize how good Audubon was. The bookstore opened in 1898? The print is stained at the bottom. Water stains?***** *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Antiques
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Joel Oppenheimer has one on sale that is in perfect shape in Chicago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not of rats or rodents, I think it is more valuable.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

My e-mail address is ************

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 month ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Scott. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

That's Mink No. 7, Plate XXXIII. It's from "The Viviparous Quadrupeds of North America". The original image was drawn by J.J. Audubon, but the lithograph was printed and colored by noted Philadelphia engraver, JT Bowen.

.

It's a plate from a series Audubon did on his travels around the Missouri River during the early 1840s. "The Viviparous Quadrupeds of North America" was series of 150 plates and was finished just a few years before Audubon died and much of the series was completed by his sons. The original edition was published in the 1840s and there was a reprint done in the 1860s.

.

For the original prints, they were published in 3 volumes, with 50 prints in each. They were published in 1845, 1846 and 1848. They were printed on unmarked paper (unfortunately) and, if removed from the books, the prints were right about 22" x 28". You might find some a little smaller depending on how much of the edge was trimmed.

.
It's possible that Goodspeed sold an original print because they do have a history of it, but it's also possible they sold one of the many reproductions.

.

It does have some staining on the bottom. It looks like an old water stain. It also looks like their might be some discoloration, which is very common with old prints. It doesn't detract from the value too much.

.

In all honesty, Oppenheimer's prices for the prints he sells are a little bit high. He definitely sells (or tries to sell) on the very high end of the price scales.

.

Even with that damage, an authentic, original print will have a value of about $500 to $600 at auction and about $800 to $1000 in a private sale. It would have an insurance value of $1500.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I looked at liveauctioneers.com. Audubon Mink, the average price at Auction is approximately $1500 at auction for the imperial portfolio size. The print is not in perfect same with some water stains, I understand that Other retail site are showing $13,000 to $5200 Joel Oppenheimer and others.

Hi.

.

You can't exactly go by LiveAuctioneers or just by LiveAuctioneers. They are just one site that compiles a few auctions. I pay for access to dozens of databases that give me far more than just what they show.

.

You have to take into consideration, not just the condition, but also the size. Your size is smaller than what it should be for a print pulled from the original volume. That's going to affect the value a bit. If you'll look at all the sold auctions, some were passed on completely. Some only went for a few hundred. There were a handful that averaged around $1000, but, in my opinion, those prints were in better shape than yours, and they were sold more than a few years ago. I try to only use sale records from within a year or two as to keep up the date with the most recent sales. Anything beyond 5yrs won't do much good in terms of recent market.

.
Your condition and size is why I valued it at about $600 for an auction price, but up to $1000 in a private sale (like Rubylane or GoAntiques).

.

Galleries are great for research, but you can't really price based on what galleries what can sell for. There are no records to indicate what they sold their prints for. We know what they're listing or attempting to list them for, but there are no records of their actual sale records. They can ask whatever they want, can sit on pieces for as long as it takes, and we have no way of knowing if they don't offer discounts or sales to move the merchandise. I can only report on actual sales. I'm also sure Oppenheimer and other high end retailers will either have provenance or proof that it's an authentic print. You don't have that. There is the label from the old bookstore, but they sold both originals and reprints of Audubon's work and it's a label from the 40s. It's not an original frame or label from the 19th century. Lack of provenance or authentication also affects the value.

.

I'm sorry you seem disappointed. You're welcome to ask whatever you like for you print, but I have to go by what actual sale records tell me. There's no set law to say that you can't try to sell it for more. An appraisal is just expectation of price. It's the price that you can assume you can get for it based on recent sales. That's how we're taught. We have to go by actual sale records within the last few years. If you're wanting come up with a median, you toss out the highest and lowest and go from there. A person is welcome to ask for more. If it sells at that higher price, that's great. That can actually turn around and possibly raise the value for the next appraisal. My job is just to give you the reasonable expectation.

.

If there's anything else I can answer, I'll be happy to.

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser