Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We have a collier's world atlas and gazetteer dated

Customer Question
Second opinion] we have...

Second opinion] we have a collier's world atlas and gazetteer dated 1935-36-37 is it worth anything???

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It's in a hard bound cover. needs to be worked on, but it is very readable.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Collier's World Atlas and Gazetteer was published by PF Collier and Sons. They were more known for their massive encyclopedia sets. Some of the earliest versions of Collier's World Atlas and Gazetteer go back to around 1910. By the sound of it, yours had more than one dated printed on the copyright page. When it's stamped like that, that means that edition was first published in 1935 and your copy actually dates to 1937.

.

If there were no significant changes in history or maps, there wasn't a need to create a new edition for each year, so some editions would be published over many years. That's why it has multiple dates listed.

.

For a copy in fair to good condition (some shelf rubbing, dented corners, loose spines, wear on the cover, scratches, slight tears etc), it'll be worth about $50 to $75. For a one in very good to excellent condition (minimal wear, no tears, no stains, etc), it's worth about $100 to $125. From the sound of your description, you'll likely fall in the higher end of the "fair to good range".

.

I really wish I could say it was worth a lot more right now. That's not to say the value won't go up as these older copies get harder to come by, especially if they're in good shape. If you do decide to sell it, I'd contact vintage book shops in your area. You might also check with local antique stores. There are a number of collectors that deal in books. To be completely honest, you'll definitely get a higher value by selling it yourself.
.
If you want to try selling your book yourself, I highly recommend checking out Etsy, Barnes and Nobles Marketplace and Amazon's Marketplace. They are great sources for selling and they do help you sell worldwide.

.

You can also check into:Albris or Biblio. Albris actually has one of the best price rates out of three, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana