Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I am trying to get an idea of the value of a set of

Customer Question
Hello, I am trying...

Hello, I am trying to get an idea of the value of a set of flatware, box says 1952, silverware have the words Holmes and Edwards, then INLAID, then IS in separate stamps but next to each other, IS

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Some tarnish of course, but if I polish them the value will drop.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Antiques
12/30/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 month ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you know the name of the pattern? If not, do you think you can post a picture of it? Also, can you give me a list of what pieces you have in your set? The pieces can vary and depending on just what you have, the value can vary quite a bit.

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have sent 2 photos from my email as replies. Are you receiving them? I will send a close up of the pattern again if it has not come in.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not find the pattern on any of the websites.

Hi. Unfortunately, no. Just replying to an email won't get them sent to me. What you're getting as emails is just automated responses. Replying to those won't go really anywhere.

.

I do have an email address that you can send the pictures to. As a last resort, you can email the pictures to *****@******.*** Tell them that you're trying to get pictures to DianaF in Antiques. They'll forward them to me. It may take a few hours, but they should send them.

.

~Diana

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

.

Now I just have one more question... is the 2nd picture, everything you have in your set?

~Diana

It looks like you have what was originally a set for 8 people, but you might be missing a few pieces here and there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is missing 1 place setting. I thought all the serving pieces might be there, but not sure.

It looks like they're all there to me. Most of the records on Holmes and Edwards is a bit scattered, especially after they became part of International Silver. I may not be able to find the pattern, but I'll see what I can find

~Diana

Hi. I think I may have found it.

.

The pattern looks to be May Queen. It's usually listed under International Silver rather than Holmes and Edward. Sadly that happens with a lot of companies when International Silver took them over. It can make finding replacements a little harder. Since it's discontinued, some of the pieces from your set will have a higher value.

.

I can actually give you the values individually and as a whole set. I counted your pieces based on what I could see in the picture. If it looks like I missed anything or got the count off, please let me know.

.

7 salad forks - $8 to $10 each

7 dinner forks - $10 to $12 each

10 teaspoons - $5 to $8 each

7 place spoons - $10 to $12 each

7 knives - $8 to $10 each

1 casserole spoon (the big oval spoon on the top/left) $10 to $15

1 meat fork (the fork on the top/right) - $15 to $20

1 master butter knife (in the top/center) - $4 to $6

1 sugar spoon (in the top/center) - $5 to $8

1 ladle - $20 to $25

1 pierced serving spoon - $15 to $20

1 solid serving spoon - $10 to $15

1 pie server - $25 to $30

.

As a whole set for it should have a resale value around $400 to $450. It would have an insurance value of $550.

.

This should get everything, but if I missed anything or if you think your dad might have something else, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do whatever I can.
.
I broke it down individually because sometimes you can get a higher value by selling it individually rather than as a whole set...but it does take much longer to do that. It just depends on how fast you would like to sell it.

.
Prices will also vary a bit depending on the condition of the pieces and where you try to sell them. Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be great alternatives to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. On the plus side, they do get the "higher" paying customers.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.
There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer, but have not rated it. I was wondering if you had any more questions?

.

I also wanted to know if you were having trouble rating my answer? Rating me does not cost you anything. It just ensures I get credit for my work.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

.

If you think you have already rated me, please reply and let me know. If you're having trouble rating my answer, please let me know.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Hi. Are you having trouble viewing my answer? From my end it looks as if you're seeing it, but I notice you're not rating it. Is there a reason that you're not? If so, I'll glad to help anyway I can.

~Diana

Hi. Are you having trouble viewing my answer or are you just not wanting to respond to me. I can see every time you view my answer. Is there a reason that you're not responding or rating me? If so, I'll glad to help anyway I can. It doesn't cost you anything extra.

~Diana

Hi. I see that you viewed my reply again. If you could respond and let me know what's going on, that would be great. I have no idea if you're having trouble or just choosing to ignore my replies.

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser