Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an old hand carved Mexican Santos statue that is life…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old hand carved wood Mexican Santos statue that is life size. Is there any reference material or internet sites that would help me identify it's age and value?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I do have pictures of it. It is dirty but complete with no cracks or missing parts. It is a man in peasant clothing with sandals. He is standing on a circular wood pedestal that appears to be integral to the statue. He is wearing sandals, has a beard and his hands/arms are outstretched. The colors look like they're stained and it has a rich golden patina.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I don't really know much about these so I don't know what is significant information about it. Probably you all looking at the picture would raise additional questions. Mexican or Spanish santos is about it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/28/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 4 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Hi There,

I have not found a match to this for you.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help. I need a few more things from you:

1) A clear, well-lit photo of the bottom of the base (this lets me see the wood composition)

2) A clear, well-lit photo of the back

3) Anything you know about the piece--when and where did you get it? Any history on it?

Jennifer

These are all the pictures we have. We have another estate auction to go to tomorrow and I probably can't get back to you with pics before Tuesday. We acquired them from an estate in Eugene, Oregon. We have no history on when or where they came from. It's our understanding the people moved here from California 40-50 years ago. Will I be able to get back in to this question just by logging on?

You will, and I'll get a notice when you post. I really can't tell much from these photos, they are very dark.

Jennifer

OK. Let me see what we can do about better lighting and get them to you. Thank you!

You're welcome! No hurry!

Attached please find more/improved photos of this statue. We discovered a signature on the base (which is included in the pictures). It appears these were done by master wood carver Art McKellips....I believe I can see an '81 on one of the other statues which I suspect is the year they were done but that's a guess. This is approx. 6' in overall height.There are two incredibly odd things about this. I don't know who the statue is supposed to depict but the ear on the left side has this odd curl at the top that sits over the hair (see pic #6). Also - and I didn't notice this until I was reviewing the pics - if you look closely the pictures show the face of an animal carved into his right chest. Pictures 7 & 8 show it most clearly. The left side appears to be simply a garment but I'm going to look at it again tomorrow.We acquired this and 2 others by the same person from an estate. I have absolutely NO idea when they were done or if they were done on commission. Mr. McKellips did a lot of work for churches but there are no markings or tags on them to indicate that is the case. It is our understanding the owners of the estate were devout Seventh Day Adventists - is this person a depiction of one of their saints or ?I have done a little research on Mr. McKellips and know that he lived in Hillsboro, OR much of his later life (from about 1976).Our first thought was that these were (as I initially stated) Mexican Santos or missionaries. However, after finding the signature I realize they are 20th Century carvings done in the Santos style. The huge question is why the animal on the front and the ear deformity?And, of course, given the condition, their value.Thank you in advance for any and all information you can provide.Star
bottom of man statue (3).jpgbottom...jpgbottom of man statue (1).jpgbottom...jpgbottom of man statue (5).jpgbottom...jpgman statue (3).jpgman sta...jpgman statue (4).jpgman sta...jpgman statue (5).jpgman sta...jpgman statue (6).jpgman sta...jpgman statue (7).jpgman sta...jpgman statue (8).jpgman sta...jpgman signature.jpgman sig...jpg

Thanks so much. I'm happy to research this for you. However, as you've said, it's quite a puzzle, so it may take me more time than usual--perhaps even a day or two if I have to reach out to colleagues. I'll keep you updated!

Jennifer

The value on the statue, with the McKellips provenance, would be around $300 (resale). That would be for each one.

I didn't get the photos of the ear or the animal. I'm happy to try to identify all of the saints, if you give me the photos.

Jennifer

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur