Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I’m looking to get a painting my father has has since he was…

Customer Question
I’m looking to get...

I’m looking to get a painting my father has has since he was little. It’s a St. Thomas Lawrence the Calvary sisters. Oil on wood I think, could be a reprint not sure bc whoever had this before him cut the edges to fit in a frame. It’s at least 70 years old.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I can send a picture if you’d like

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 6 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the art
and signature.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

I don’t have a signature but here are some pictures of the front and back. There was paper on the back that was ripped off.
8B1B5A08-D069-44F7-94A6...jpeg8B1B5A...jpegF749AAC0-4EF7-4023-A024...jpegF749AA...jpegDCCD4CFF-7F58-4DED-8BE5...jpegDCCD4C...jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

This is a 1930's -1940's print of a famous painting by artist Sir Thomas Lawrence titled The Calmady Children. The original painting hangs at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

I will add a photo of the painting so that you can see that your print has faded over the 70+ years in comparison to the original colors. This print in an oval frame is valued at $75 to $100 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me to get good feedback for answering.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the stars or typing the words thank you.