Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have 2 pictures chalk drawings, that bhas been in the

Customer Question
I have 2 pictures...

I have 2 pictures chalk drawings, that bhas been in the family for years that is signed by Ruth Hynds, they are of my mothers pets and I was wondering if they are done by the same Ruth Hynds.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Just that these were done way back in the late 50s-early 60s and have been aroind for as long as I can remember, Mother always said Ruth was a friend of hers and did those when she was first starting out as an artist

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/27/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size are your pieces (in inches) not including the frames and mats? Please do not remove from the frames.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed pieces.

Please send a photo of the signatures.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

there are 6 photos the one of the dog is kinda dirty but its on the glass itself not the picture. sorry if they are a bit blurry but it's the best I could do.
101_2463.JPG101_2463.JPG101_2464.JPG101_2464.JPG101_2465.JPG101_2465.JPG101_2466.JPG101_2466.JPG101_2467.JPG101_2467.JPG101_2468.JPG101_2468.JPG

Thank you for the pictures?

sorry cant give exact size atm. but they are at least 14x21 and 11x18 aprox. give or take

Thank you. Give me a few minutes to check the signatures.

ok the cat is 15 x18 and the dog is 15.5 x 21.5 aprox including the mats
I seriously doubt you will find these amoung her known works, from what I was told they were done as a favor to my family as she was starting out, but I cant attest thats what it was. I know mother didnt pay to have them done.and the woman that did do these was either still in school or just starting out. not sure

Are you asking if these are actually by the well known California artist Ruth Hynds. The examples of her art work I found were signed in penned script writing, not in printed letters like yours.

I am like I said these are old photos and how many Ruth Hynds are there?
I meant drawings sorry

Only one that is a listed, well known artist.