Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a Hammersley Bone China teaset- Grandmothers Rose…

Customer Question
I have a Hammersley...

I have a Hammersley Bone China teaset- Grandmothers Rose comprising of 6 cups and saucers, large cream jug, sweet dish, oblong serving tray, cake plate, sugar bowl and 6 bread and butter plates. All in excellent condition. Could you tell me the value please. I received the set from my grandmother some years ago.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/23/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

That's a pretty pattern. It was popular during the midcentury. It's been discontinued a long time, so many of the pieces may be harder to find.

.

I can actually give you prices both individually and as a set so you'll know the value of each piece and as a set. Here is a breakdown value for your pieces:

.

6 cups/saucers - $30 to $35 each

6 bread / butter plates - $15 to $20 each

cream jug - $30 to $35

sugar bowl - $35 to $40

sweet dish - $25 to $30

serving tray - $65 to $70

cake plate - $50 to $55

.

As a whole set, it should be worth about $450 to $550

.

That should do it, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.

You're welcome to ask whatever you like or bargain with any sellers, but this is what your set is actually worth. The reason I broke it down is because sometimes you can get a higher value by breaking the set up or by piecing it out. Like you mentioned, it helps to know what each piece is worth.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.

I'll be honest, the downside to selling china right now is that there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but there are definitely collector's out there.
.
I can give you a few ideas for selling if you're interested. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. Since you're in Australia, there is also gumtree. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Have a great night,

~Diana

Thanks Diana F
I just got charged $67 per month thru Paypal when I wanted a $5 question answered.. How can I get this rectified..

You're welcome. Unfortunately, I don't handle any customer accounts. As far as I know, Just Answer does not offer any questions for just $5. From what I do know, the original offer is a $5 deposit, then the rest of the charge is due once you've received an answer. That is still a great deal because appraisers at brick/mortar shops charge upwards of $100 per hour to work on items.

.

If you'd like to discuss it, you can contact customer service at 1(###) ###-####/a>

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser