Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

If you have an antique piece of furniture that squeaks and…

Customer Question
If you have an...

If you have an antique piece of furniture that squeaks and if you fix it so it doesn't, does that detract from the value of it

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I could epoxy joints in a way that no-one could tell, but the chair would be rigid not flexible like it used to be,, Is that bad?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I also have antique tiger striped oak display cabinets with bent glass fronts I can take it all apart with no trouble, refinish it and I could glue things that were not glued at the time it was built and the piece would no longer flex.. Is that bad?/ Maybe just the act of tightening the fasteners a little more would possibly (split the difference) and it would be mre like it was originally made,, I am surprised that most of the cabinets/furniture I take apart comes apart easily and is mostly held together with screws but the wood starts to loosen after a period of time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/23/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora