Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Ihavea1864 sectionalbookcaseand desk whatisthevalue? There…

Customer Question
Ihavea1864 sectionalbookcaseand desk whatisthevalue? ...

Ihavea1864 sectionalbookcaseand desk whatisthevalue?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

There are 6 sections atop followed by 2 leadedglass bookcase shelves then a desk section the front comes down for writiing the desk has a lock i have the original key the desk has cubby holes and 2 drawers thenext 2 sections are bookcase shelves with regular glass the last section is the base

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I can't think of anything

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/23/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

What is the approximate size of the piece in feet/inches?
Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the piece.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the piece.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

You have posted this same question several times. Did you intend to pay for several questions about the same item?

theheight is76inches each of the 2 leaded glass sections are 13 inches the desk section is 15 inches not sure about getting you a picture it's in really good shape thou on the surface desk section there i s about an inch or less gone you know the thin wood covering the desk trop

Thank you for that information but it really would be best to see the piece in a picture.

Could you please try.

I did not send the popup about a phone call. I do not participate in the extra charge phone call service. It is possible that another pro may choose to call you.

Still, a picture would allow us to give you a more accurate value.

Have you sent pictures?

Antique Expert: James-cssm,
 replied 6 months ago
James-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/avzqx-ihavea1864-sectionalbookcaseand-desk-whatisthevalue.html. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.

Hello, again.

This is Doris.

If you would like help from Customer Service, you need to send them your email address.

Kind regards,

Doris

i only asked one question which was what the value of my bookcase desk sectional may be.i guess i can;t provide enough information for you to answer it.thank you pam

I am going to assume that your desk/bookcase is similar to this one that I just sent a picture of in my previous respons even though the carving and glass might be different.

The estimated retail value of this is $1000-1300.

If yours is significantly different, let me me know, and I will revise my answer before you rate my service.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************