Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an antique rocking chair. Cane seat, oak,. Lots of…

Customer Question
I have an antique...

I have an antique rocking chair. Cane seat, oak,. Lots of spindles on back and on arms. Spindles look like they were carved to look like bamboo. I was told that it was turn of the century and was probably sold through Sears Robuck. Also told in 1975

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Antique rocking chair. Cane seat. Spindles carved in a Bamboo pattern. Was told it was turn of century. Value?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

A rocking chair with spindles turned to look like bamboo is more likely late 19th century, Victorian era and in the Aesthetic Movement style, which heavily used the bamboo theme in furniture and wares.

An antique oak wood rocking chair with bamboo form spindles and cane seat could sell for up to $200 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora