Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am trying to identify my Grandmothers painting. I really…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to identify my Grandmothers painting.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I really don’t know anything else. I can send pictures

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/21/2017
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 8 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it possible to upload photos of the item, including any and all marks/signatures?

If you don’t have photos, I can do my best without them—just let me know—but it’s more accurate with photos.

There should be a +ADD FILES feature next to our Send button.

If not, then there is a paperclip above the reply box that you click to attach photos.

The photos won’t upload unless you also have at least one word in the text box! You won’t see the attached photo along with the text before you post it, but you will see the paperclip or attach button turn green.

If that doesn’t work, please reach out to Customer Service for help at no additional charge:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us 1(###) ###-####/p>

I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely, Jennifer

See attached.
3F327AB6-FCD8-42AD-8673...jpeg3F327A...jpeg0CAFD702-E04B-46E1-8CB9...jpeg0CAFD7...jpeg143E825D-8752-4EE7-8823...jpeg143E82...jpeg7527FCEF-CF71-4F28-A978...jpeg7527FC...jpeg
I already paid and do not intend to pay more. Please look at pictures and advise name of artist?

I see you may have gotten a pop-up for additional services--I do not send them, and I can't stop them either. Sorry! Give me a bit of time to review your painting and I'll reply here when I have some answers.

Thank you.

Is it possible to get me a more straight-on photo of the signature? I'm having trouble deciphering the last name.

Jennifer

Just a minute
Can I send by email?

You can send it to***@******.*** and ask them to forward to me, AppraiserJM. However, that can take a few hours.

I have it, thanks.

Jennifer

Thank you.

I am still unable to decipher the last name, so I will opt out and let another appraiser try. You do not need to do anything and won't be charged additional fees.

Jennifer

Thank you. That has been my trouble to identify also.
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 8 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Thank you for your patience.

The signature is Odon de Szacik, which is a Hungarian descent name.

Though a well-rendered painting, this is an unlisted artist.

It is a Social Realism theme painting of reapers and gleaners during a harvest in the late afternoon with the sun setting.

Depending on the size, a fair market value for this is $400 -$800.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora