Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an Honore Fragonard color lithograph of The Swing…

Customer Question
I have an Honore...

I have an Honore Fragonard color lithograph of The Swing that was purchased in Paris in the 1940s. Can you give me any information

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

My father had a buyer from a fine SC department store purchase the framed picture for him when the buyer was oin Paris on a buying trip. At the same time he also purchased an etching/lithograph of Marie Antoinette. There is writing on the lower right side but it is too small for me to read

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

No, I did have a local antique dealer look at it and they believed the color was still very good, but they said the paper needed to be tested for age

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/20/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the art,
signatures, tiny writing if any and back of completed framing for any writing or labels.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

I just realized that my etching is the following:
1782: Les Hazards [sic] Heureux de l'Escarpolettes [sic], etching and engraving by fr:Nicolas de Launay (1739–1792), 62.3 × 45.5 cm (24 ⅝ × 17 ⅞ in).[9] Contrary to the original painting, the lady is facing right and has plumes on her hat (among other dissimilarities) because it was drawn after the replica owned by Edmond de Rothschild.

1782: Les Hasards Heureux de l'Escarpolette,

etching and engraving by Nicolas de Launay

after Fragonard's The Swing has a value of

$1200 retail if there is no moisture damage, foxing, discoloration, folds, or tears.

I have added a photo of similar. The main difference between the painting and engraving is the addition of plumes in the hat of the girl and the print being in the reverse of position of the painting, like you stated.
De Launay published the print himself, advertising it in the Gazette de France on 2 April 1782. He dedicated it personally to Fragonard.

To sell, try ads on these sites; http://www.masterpieceonline.com, artbrokerage.com, askart.com, artnet.com, artvalue.com, or artprice.com.
Some other sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one, it is very important for me to get good feedback for answers.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the stars or typing the words thank you.