Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My wife just made an arrangement with our neighbor to

Customer Question
Hi..my wife just made...

Hi..my wife just made an arrangement with our neighbor to purchase what our neigbbor believes to be a French antique. My wife loves it but I'm not comfortable spending the money unless someone can value it..Id be willing to pay $200.00 for an independent appraisal if I can get an appraiser that is willing to come look at it vs. just sending pictures...can you help with someone who would do that in our area?

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Neighbor says she got it in Atlanta and believes it to be a French antique.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/18/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

For an appraisal you will really want to work with an accredited appraiser who is a member of one of 3 appraiser associations. To find one in your area, you will go to each of the 3 sites and enter your location into their 'find an appraiser' directories. From there, you will contact each qualified appraiser who comes up in your area and they will relay to you their fees for service.

Here are the links for you to each of the groups:

ISA, International Society of Appraisers: https://www.isa-appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

ASA, American Society of Appraisers: http://www.appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

AAA, Appraiser's Association of American: http://www.appraisersassociation.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.ViewPage&PageID=741

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 6 months ago

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora