Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have something from my grand parents that I can't find…

Customer Question
I have something from...

I have something from my grand parents that I can't find anywhere online for appraisal...it is sterling from probably the 19th century..

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I wanted to send picture to someone to see if they know what it is..

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

My grand parents were from the middle east around Turkey..they lived in the commemorate times there

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/17/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 8 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

trying to upload

If you have trouble uploading, you can email the files to***@******.*** with
"forCustomerquot; in the subject line of the email and they
will forward them to me within 48 hours.

just emailed them

Thanks.

I'll respond as soon as they get to me. This way does take longer because they are forwarded by a third party and the time it takes is out of my control.

You have a collection of Turkish/Ottoman/filigree silver. The spoons are demitasse spoons using old coins (one is dated 1916 that I can see), probably made after the Ataturk government superseded the Ottoman sultanate, so a rough guess would be the 1920s. The demitasse spoons and the sugar tongs usually came is a silk lined box as a set of 12 and two sets of tongs and smaller sets I've seen are 6 spoons and one pair of tongs in a case. The set you have consisting of 10 demitasse spoons and two pairs of tongs are valued at $125 retail.

The other pieces in the collection are a bit older-circa 1880-1900 being a Turkish silver filigree tea tray valued at $230, six (6) seafood forks valued at $45 for the set, two (2) silver filigree baskets valued at $80 each, and two Bedouin silver ankle bracelets valued at $50 each.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answers.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the stars or typing the words thank you.