Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Birkey and Gay painted furniture floral. Full size sleigh…

Customer Question
Birkey and Gay painted...

Birkey and Gay painted furniture floral

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Full size sleigh bed with floral pattern on headboard and footboard, with circular metal stamped Birkey & Gay Furniture on rear of headboard.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Not that I can see. I saw a nightstand on ebay with the same pattern several years ago. I'm looking to paint the bed but not the floral section and seeking appliques etc in same pattern if possible to recreate furniture to match, not so much the value. Inherited the bed with no dressers etc.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 2 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

I am correct in that you are looking for Decals that were used by Berkey and Gay ?

I am looking to replicate some nightstands and possibly a dresser/chest of drawers to match the headboard. I can paint to match the base color, but I'm no good at replicating the flowers and leaves. Hoping to buy some that will work.

Hello

That would be great, and very pretty. I have seen their hand painted items.

I have had painted furniture replicated like this. What you need to do is take a really good picture of what you want to paint on the other pieces. Get as good a pictures as you can get, then take those to your local Graphic Design company and ask them to make you either water slide on decals or the peel and stick kind. Some design places still create the kind you wet , then slide onto the item. This will get you the same look as to what is on the bed, they can even create a muted look if that is how the bed looks now.

I have done this on vintage baby cribs, kitchen cabinets and other items.

If for some reason you cannot find someone local look on Etsy for Decals, there are a lot of sellers on there making vintage decals.

Berkey and Gay would not have any of these old decals. You can see their history here, they closed in 1948

http://www.furniturecityhistory.org/company/3391/berkey-and-gay-furniture-co

Hope this helps you, gives you ideas on how to get the decals you are wanting.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Rating the appraiser for answering your question has no cost to you, so please take a moment to rate this answer. This is the only way we get compensated by the site for our work. At no cost to you the customer.

This may be clicking the stars, rate expert or review expert.
.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

A rating is appreciated
Thank you

Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser