Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have some antique dresser set that I would like to know…

Customer Question
I have some antique...

I have some antique dresser set that I would like to know value or brand.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It appears to be French provincial style. Walnut with a 9 drawer dresser and the bed has cut out design. I have pictures

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

There appears to be a daisy carved on the drawersz

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/14/2017
Antique Expert: rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hello there

My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you in your question today. Thank you or using JustAnswer to solve your question.

You have a wonderful nice looking dresser set, I really like the style of that time. The legs and feet of the furniture matches the famous cabriolet style, that was popular in the later 18th century, however, you pieces are from a later in time, the early 19th century. At that time, metal parts like nails, screws...etc were extremely expensive, so I it is likely that your furniture does not have them. Instead they used wood joints, like the dovetail, finger and mortise joints. These joints need more labor, but indeed it was cheaper than using metallic parts.

Regarding the manufacturer, from the type of wood and style, we should be looking to a European(french) manufacturer. However, the exact manufacturer can only be certified if the furniture have any manufacturer marks in any of the pieces. It can be a ink label, text, logo... or even some manufacturers burnt the wood with their mark. The mark can be locate anywhere in the furniture, normally they are located at the back, in unexposed areas of the furniture. If you can locate the manufacturer mark, please, upload a picture of it and I will locate the manufacturer for you ok?

Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.

The value will be in the range of

350-500 for the side bed

1,200-1,800 for the buffet

1,100-1,600 for the 9 drawers dresser

400-650$ for the bed

Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!